Flood Information

ISU Extension and Outreach Fremont County is here to help!  


A variety of web-based resources have been gathered to provide information for all phases of flooding. 
Learn more here:  https://www.extension.iastate.edu/disasterrecovery/flooding
Our staff in Sidney would be happy to print any resources that would be helpful at no cost.
Call Iowa Concern Hotline - 1-800-447-1985 for confidential and free help 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.                           
Call AnswerLine for information and resources for consumers with home and family questions.
Toll-free Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - noon and 1 - 4 p.m.
1-800-262-3804 (in Iowa)
1-800-735-2942 (Relay Iowa phone linkage for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals)
For water testing, contact Erman Mullins at the Fremont County Emergency Management, (712) 374-3355 or (712) 313-0200.
Be Alert to Disaster Related Scams and Fraud
First Step in Recovering Flooded Pastures and Hay Ground
Disposing of Flood-Soaked Grains and Forages
Morel Mushrooms
Check Private Wells for Contamination after Flooding
Management Guidance for Flooded Grain
First Steps to Flood Recovery
Resources for Your Flooded Home
Creating a Healthy Home
Homeowner's and Renter's Guide to Mold Cleanup After Disasters
Handling Food Through Floods
Inspect Flood-Damaged Appliances
Understanding the Effects of Flooding on Trees
Tips for Adults After Disasters
Recovery After Disaster: The Family Financial Toolkit
Extension Disaster Education Network
NDSU Flood Information


Visit https://www.homelandsecurity.iowa.gov/ for critical information!
Federal aid is available.  Find detailed information here:  https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2019/03/24/federal-aid-programs-state-iowa.  Take pictures BEFORE you begin repairs, save receipts and track volunteer hours to maximize benefits.
To register with FEMA, visit DisasterAssistance.gov or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).  If you use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585.  Please have the following available:

  • Your address with zip code
  • Directions to your property
  • Condition of your damaged home
  • Insurance information, if available
  • Social security number
  • Phone number where you can be contacted
  • Address where you can recieve mail
  • Bank accounty type, account number and routing number for direct deposit of relief funds

FEMA representatives are stationed at the Fremont County Emergency Management Office, 2014 290th Ave, Sidney, IA, to sign up individuals who were impacted by the flood. Hours of operation are from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday.  
Fremont County veterans affected by the flood can apply for aid by contacting Carlene Hall, Fremont County Veterans Affairs Administrator, at 414 Clay Street, Sidney, Phone (712) 374-2275, Email chall@co.fremont.ia.us.  
Individuals and businesses can apply for disaster relief grants up to $5,000.  The application can be found at HERE.
IowaWorks can offer Disaster Unemployment Assistance.  Individuals can visit the local office at 300 W. Broadways, Suite #13 inside the Omni Centre in Council Bluffs.  They will also schedule time in affected communities.  
Flood victims may qualify for benefits from Salvation Army. Contact them by visiting the Salvation Office location at 715 N 16th St. in Council Bluffs.  Hours of operations are Mondays and Thursdays 9 am - 7 pm, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 9 am - 4 pm and Saturdays 9 am - noon.  Call (712) 328-2088.
All flood victims are encouraged to apply for assistanct with DHS.  They are currently housed in the Fremont County Veteran's Affairs office located at 414 Clay St. in Sidney.  Hours are April 8-16, 8 am - noon and 1 - 4:30 pm.   
Benefits are available from Red Cross.  Please call (281) 413-4009 for more information.


Old Fire Station, Tabor
Hamburg School
Senior Center, Shenandoah
Fremont County Emergency Management Office, Sidney
Fremont County Fairgrounds, Sidney (take what you need off the Main Stage)


PLEASE don't buy supplies!  Donations have poured in from all over the country and the best way to say thanks is to put these donations to good use!  You can find a variety of food, baby supplies, toiletries, paper products, clothing in all sizes, shoes, cleaning supplies, etc.!  Whether you *need* it, or not, please check the supplies before purchasing anything.  Help yourself to whatever you can use.

Visit the following locations for supplies:
Old Fire Station, Tabor
Hamburg School
Senior Center, Shenandoah
Fremont County Emergency Management Center, Sidney
The United Methodist Church in Shenandoah has a Missions Room full of clothing and household items.  It's free to anyone in need.  Call 712-246-2081 or stop by the church office at 200 Church St.


Crisis Cleanup has set up in the former Kornerstone Kids Center in Hamburg.  Affected businesses and households can start a work order by calling (800) 447-1985, by visiting www.crisiscleanup.org, or by stopping at the center Tuesday-Sunday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.  Crisis Cleanup will coordinate volunteers to help with cleanup and repairs.


The Salvation Army will be providing meals in Hamburg.  
Dinner will be served to Percival Community members at the Sidney Legion Club on Sundays at 5 p.m. and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m.


Taxpayers whose primary residence or business is in Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona, and Woodbury counties will have until July 31, 2019 to file and pay state individual income taxes and business income taxes due between March 12, 2019 and July 31, 2019. The extension requires no action by residents and businesses in these five counties. For complete information, visit https://tax.iowa.gov/2019-flooding?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Medical Services

Penn Drug in Sidney will be offering free tetanus shots beginning Monday, April 1 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


Buses will run from Hamburg to Sidney for showers.  For more information, call (712) 382-2017.
Shenandoah Inn & Suites has a shower dedicated to flood victims.  Call (712) 246-3000 with questions.


Dirty laundry can be dropped off at the Hamburg School.  A form must be included with the bag of laundry.  It will be cleaned and delivered the following day.  For more information, call (712) 382-2017.


SWIPCO will provide transportation to displaced flood victims.  Call (712) 243-4196.


Black Hills Energy can be reached at 1-888-890-5554 for customer service, 1-800-694-8989 for emergency service, or at www.blackhillsenergy.com.

Office Services

The Fremont County Extension Office located at 610 Clay Street in Sidney is able to provide computers, internet, telephones, faxing, printing, copying, laminating.  There will be no charge for services related to flood relief.  

Child Care 

The Extension Office can also coordinate child care efforts if there is a need for parents who are moving, cleaning or volunteering.  Call (712) 374-2351 for help.


Parker Ag Innovations in Emerson is offering 30% off DryShod Boots and Kent feeds, and 50% off Decon Seven, which kills mold, to all flood victims.
For those who lost eyewear in the flood of 2019. Olson Eye Care, Council Bluffs is offering replacement items free of charge (712) 256-1111.

Pets & Livestock

Call the HAY AND LIVESTOCK SUPPLIES HOTLINE at (402) 542-0775 or email Heartlandlivestockaid@gmail.com for assistance.
For any flood victims in need of assistance: Healthy Tails Retreat in Shenandoah has teamed up with the local First United Methodist Church located on Church St. to help you with any of your pet supply needs.  Call (712) 246-2081.
Dog Daze Grooming & Boarding in Shenandoah is providing temporary pet shelters.  Please call 712-370-3087 for more information.


Shenandoah Inn & Suites is offering discounted rooms for $65 a night to flood victims.  They have also designated a room for free, hot showers for any flood victims.  Call (712) 246-3000 for more information.
For a list of available rentals in the Sidney area, contact City Hall at 712-374-2223.
Celebrity Inn Motel in Clarinda is offering a dozen free rooms to flood victims.  Call Roger Clark at 712-542-5178 for availability.
Waubonsie Apartments and Hodges Ridge Apartments in Sidney are housing options.  Call (712) 374-6406.
For housing in Shenandoah, call Autumn Park at (712) 246-4898, Forest Park Manor at (712) 246-3213, Valley View Apartments at (712) 246-2044, Shenwood Apartments at (712) 246-2340, Lowell Street Apartments at (712) 629-5016, Holmes Apartments at (712) 246-1190, Rodney Vogel at (660) 528-0133, Judy Smith at (712) 370-3584, Stacey Moyer at (712) 350-1199, Roger Snyder at (712) 374-3195, Tom Ayers at (712) 215-1991, Amy Maher at (712) 246-8062, Kenneth Timmerman at (712) 314-4966, Larry Shum at (712) 246-5211 or Lea Fienup at (712) 215-0679.
Apartments may be available at:

  • Clarinda Low Rent Housing, 712-542-2912
  • Clarinda West Apartments, 712-542-2249
  • Meadow Run Apartments, 712-542-2249
  • Timber Creek Apartments, 712-542-4075 

Murphy Management Company may have rental properties available in southwest Iowa.  Call (515) 295-2927.



Volunteer with Crisis Cleanup!  Whether you have a few free hours alone, or are working cooperatively with a group, you will be assigned duties based on your interests.  To volunteer, call (712) 202-5351.
The Senior Center in Shenandoah is in desperate need of volunteers to man the Supply Center every day from noon-8.  Call (712) 246-3409.  
Manage donations at the Emergency Management Building.  Call (712) 374-3355 for more information.


So many supplies have poured in, and they are so appreciated!  However, storage space is limited, and many needs can only be fulfilled with money and gift cards.  Please consider donating financially.  Gas cards, pre-paid cell phone cards, gift cards to local grocery and department stores, and pre-paid credit cards would be amazing!
To donate to the Hamburg Community Fund, visit https://www.paypal.me/hamburgCF or make donations in person at any Great Western Bank. The account name is Hamburg Economic Development.
Hamburg Economic Development has started a Facebook fundraiser as another convenient option.  Visit:  https://www.facebook.com/donate/1364319983693338/
The Fremont County Community Foundation, an affiliate of the Omaha Community Foundation, has established the Fremont County Flood Fund to provide relief in Fremont County to those who have been affected by the 2019 Missouri River flooding.  Donations to the fund will go directly to flood victims in Fremont County, Iowa, with Fremont County Public Health serving as the facilitator in distributing support. Applications for relief grants will be available through Fremont County Public Health at a date yet to be determined.  Donations to this fund can be made via check or online donation. Checks should be made payable to the Fremont County Flood Fund and mailed to the Fremont County Community Foundation, 3555 Farnam Street, Suite 222, Omaha, NE 68131 or dropped off at any of the following bank locations:  Arbor Bank - Sidney; First Heritage Bank – Farragut and Shenandoah; First State Bank - Tabor; Great Western Bank – Sidney and Shenandoah; Tri-Valley Bank - Randolph.  To make an online donation, visit https://omahafoundation.org/donate/ and select “Southwest Iowa Funds” and “Fremont County Flood Fund” from the dropdown lists, then complete the fields that follow to indicate your donation amount, personal information and payment details. (Credit card donations will incur a 3% merchant processing fee from the credit card company.)  Donations are tax-deductible and will receive a gift receipt from the Omaha Community Foundation, which is a 501(c)(3) public charity, allowing for maximum tax benefits.  Advisory Board members of the Fremont County Community Foundation are: Chair, Kent Claiborne of Hamburg; Vice Chair, Steve Lorimor of Farragut; Secretary/Treasurer, Erika Graham of Sidney; Lindsey Carter of Randolph; Jonna Loewe of Sidney; and Staci Shearer of Farragut.  For additional information on the flood relief fund, please contact any of the aforementioned board members, or Stacey Goodman, Iowa Foundations Director, at 800-794-3458 or stacey@omahafoundation.org.
Donations are being accepted for Hamburg at https://www.gofundme.com/2p7jy2-hamburg-strong-hamburg-ia-relief-and-recovery?fbclid=IwAR0S3UDxwFwzmVW1VBAyG72Uq2DXukjZJYDhBgDVIOaDmzIGjxuf4SSlzp4
A Facebook fundraiser has been started by Benton County Corn Growers called "Grower to Grower Distaster Relief."  100% of the money raised will go to helping farmers who have been affected by the recent flooding that has devastated the agricultural industry in south west Iowa.  Donate here:  https://www.facebook.com/donate/322199545108765/


We are seeking groups such as churches, companies or civic organizations to serve meals to the following groups:

  • 50 people, Sundays at 5:00 and Thursday at 6:30, for the Percival community.  Call Mandy at (712) 374-2351 or (712) 246-8631 to volunteer.



The Hamburg Flood Relief Shelter has started an Amazon Wish List.  To order needed supplies, visit:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ls/ref=?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&lid=2F9I4A9RAY1WX&ty=wishlist&fbclid=IwAR1c1JN767v_TrsRW5rTNlq_9ZOC64HEMWzATV1z6XINUpLXi90MB7GALUg
Orscheln's in Shenandoah is collecting donations of cat litter, dehumidifiers, scoop shovels, long-handled squeegees, industrial lawn & leaf bags, tarps, muck boots and N95 masks.
The following items are requested at the Emergency Management Office in Sidney and the school in Hamburg:

  • New underwear and socks in all sizes
  • Muck boots in all sizes
  • Dehumidifiers
  • Sump pumps
  • Pitch forks
  • Box fans
  • Electric skillets
  • Silverware
  • Queen/Full bedding
  • Blankets
  • Detergent
  • Trash bags
  • Laundry baskets
  • Totes
  • Long-handled squeegies
  • Shop Vacs
  • Lawn & leaf bags
  • Long rubber gloves
  • Mattresses
  • Beds
  • Heaters

West Central Community Action in Sidney is in need of the following:

  • non-perishable food items
  • toiletries
  • paper products

Supply donations will be accepted at the Emergency Management Office at 2014 290th Ave. in Sidney.  Call (712) 374-3355 to arrange a drop-off time.
St. Mary's Catholic Church of Shenandoah is collecting laundry supplies.  Please drop donations off at the church office at 512 W. Thomas.  Call (712) 246-1718 for more information.
The Shenandoah United Methodist Church's Mission Room is collecting clothing, shoes and household items.  Call 712-246-2081 for more information.
Gift cards are widely needed, especially for gas and groceries.  


If you lent a crate, kennel, pet taxi or carrier to Healthy Tails Retreat or the Shenandoah United Methodist Church, they have been collected and are available for pick up at Healthy Tails during regular business hours, Mon-Fri 7 am-6 pm, Sat & Sun 8 am-noon and 4-6 pm.  Call Healthy Tails Retreat at (712) 246-2310 with questions.
If you have any hay or feed for livestock you can call 402-542-0775 or email at harlandlivestockaide@gmail.com to donate to the Iowa and Nebraska Food for Animals hotline.


Campers are needed for temporary housing.  If you have a camper you would allow a displaced victim to use, please call the Emergency Management office at (712) 374-3355.
If you have a rental property or a housing solution, please call City Hall at 712-374-2223.


Contact Fremont County Emergency Management at (712) 374-3355.
Please contact us at (712) 374-2351 or xfremont@iastate.edu with any questions, concerns, to request assistance, to offer assistance, or to update any information listed here.

Share |