Flood Information


Iowa assistance:www.floods2019.iowa.gov
Website featuring the latest disaster recovery information on a variety of topics ranging from
cleaning up to hiring contractors for repairs and rebuilding.
FEMA assistance:www.fema.gov/disaster/4421
Website features all FEMA disaster-related news and key information for survivors specific to the
March 12-May 16 severe storms and flooding.
SBA assistance:www.SBA.gov/disasteror SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 Website detailing available SBA assistance, including information on disaster loans and how to apply.
Housing Rental Units:www.iowahousingsearch.org
Listing of rental units in Iowa that allows users to search a number of features, including short-
term leases for flood-impacted Iowans.

Local Housing Trust Funds: Find the Local Housing Trust Fund serving your area for information on financial assistance that may be available to help with your housing recovery needs at: http://www.iowafinanceauthority.gov/File/DownloadFile/7172
Mortgage assistance:www.iowamortgagehelp.com  877-622-4866
Iowa Mortgage Help assists in working with your loan servicer.
Military Homeownership Assistance Program:
Provides eligible service members and veterans with a $5,000 grant for down payment and closing costs on a qualifying home purchase.
Iowa Contractor Registrations:https://contractor.iowa.gov/IowaIWD/CREG
Check to see if the contractor offering services to repair your home is registered with the State.
Iowa Consumer Protection (Fraud complaints):
Consumer Protection Division of the Iowa Attorney General’s Office:
Call 515-281-5926 or toll-free outside of Des Moines: 888-777-4590.
For more information visitAttorney General consumer tips and information.
Iowa Department of Human Rights:https://humanrights.iowa.gov515-242-5655
Works to ensure basic rights, freedoms and opportunities for all by empowering underrepresented
Iowans and eliminating economic, social and cultural barriers.
Disaster Behavioral Health Response Team:http://www.iowadbhrt.org515-281-3128 Responds to the mental health needs of Iowa residents following disasters and critical incidents.
Health information:http://idph.iowa.gov/flooding515-281-7689
Informationfrom the Iowa Department of Public Health related to your health and flooding such as cleaning and disinfecting, mold, immunizations, damaged items, flooded sewage systems and mosquito bite prevention.


For more information on the Iowa disaster and a variety of recovery resources, log on to: www.floods2019.iowa.gov or call 2-1-1. Multilingual services are available. For more information on FEMA assistance, go to www.fema.gov/disaster/4421 or www.disasterassistance.gov.  Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has faced discrimination or needs help with accessible communication, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-3362. Multilingual operators are available.
A variety of web-based resources have been gathered to provide information for all phases of flooding.  Learn more here:  https://www.extension.iastate.edu/disasterrecovery/flooding
Call Iowa Concern Hotline - 1-800-447-1985 for confidential and free help 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.                           
Call AnswerLine for information and resources for consumers with home and family questions.
Toll-free Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - noon and 1 - 4 p.m.
1-800-262-3804 (in Iowa)
1-800-735-2942 (Relay Iowa phone linkage for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals)
For water testing, contact Erman Mullins at the Fremont County Emergency Management, (712) 374-3355 or (712) 313-0200.
Americorps Disaster Response Team Deployed to Fremont and Mills Counties
Be Alert to Disaster Related Scams and Fraud
Be Flood Smart.  Protect Your Property
Check Private Wells for Contamination after Flooding
Creating a Healthy Home
Disposing of Flood-Soaked Grains and Forages
Emergency Support From USDA Available to Iowa Producers
First Steps to Flood Recovery
First Step in Recovering Flooded Pastures and Hay Ground
Free Legal Assistance for Iowa Disaster Survivors
Garden Produce in Floods
Handling Food Through Floods
Homeowner's and Renter's Guide to Mold Cleanup After Disasters
Inspect Flood-Damaged Appliances
Management Guidance for Flooded Grain
Property Buy-Out FAQ's
Read Your FEMA Determination Letter to the End
Recovery After Disaster: The Family Financial Toolkit
Resources for Your Flooded Home
Tips for Adults After Disasters
Twelve Disaster Rebuilding Tips for Less Than $50
Understanding the Effects of Flooding on Trees
Understanding a FEMA Determination Letter
Extension Disaster Education Network
NDSU Flood Information
Buildings in Hamburg will be inspected for evidence of substantial damage.  This evaluation is required by the Floodplain Management Ordinance dated August 8, 1988.  These inspections apply to all structures within the 100-year floodplain as shown on the FEMA FIRM.  Residential inspections take 15-30 minutes and non-residential inspections take 30-90 minutes.  The City of Hamburg will use the information gathered during the inspection to make Substantial Damage determiniations.  A written determination will be mailed to the owners of the inspected structures.  Be advised that all repairs, reconstruction, and new construction are subject to the provisions of the Hamburg Buliding Code and may require a permit.  For more information, contact Cath Crain, Hamburg Mayor, at 712-382-1313.


The Fremont County Flood Fund, managed by Fremont County Long-Term Recovery Group, has received more than $110,000 in contrubutions.  Applications for assistance from this fund are available through West Central Community Action.  Call (712) 374-3367 to make an appointment with a Disaster Case Manager.  If you prefer to fill out the form ahead of time, DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION HERE.
Iowa Farmers and Ranchers Have Options for Disaster Assistance
Damaged Wells & Septic Systems May Be FEMA Eligible.  Click to learn more.
Iowa Farmers may be eligible for a $500 grant to be used for household expenses, including medical bills, through Farm Aid.  To apply, CLICK HERE.
Visit https://www.homelandsecurity.iowa.gov/ for critical information!
Federal aid is available.  Find detailed information here:  https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2019/03/24/federal-aid-programs-state-iowa.  Take pictures BEFORE you begin repairs, save receipts and track volunteer hours to maximize benefits.
To register with FEMA, visit DisasterAssistance.gov or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).  If you use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585.  Please have the following available:

  • Your address with zip code
  • Directions to your property
  • Condition of your damaged home
  • Insurance information, if available
  • Social security number
  • Phone number where you can be contacted
  • Address where you can recieve mail
  • Bank account type, account number and routing number for direct deposit of relief funds

Fremont County veterans affected by the flood can apply for aid by contacting Fremont County Veterans Affairs at 414 Clay Street, Sidney, Phone (712) 374-2275, Email chall@co.fremont.ia.us.  
Individuals and businesses can apply for disaster relief grants up to $5,000.  The application can be found at HERE.
IowaWorks can offer Disaster Unemployment Assistance.  Individuals can visit the local office at 300 W. Broadways, Suite #13 inside the Omni Centre in Council Bluffs.  They will also schedule time in affected communities.  
Flood victims may qualify for benefits from Salvation Army. Contact them by visiting the Salvation Office location at 715 N 16th St. in Council Bluffs.  Hours of operations are Mondays and Thursdays 9 am - 7 pm, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 9 am - 4 pm and Saturdays 9 am - noon.  Call (712) 328-2088.  
Benefits may be available from Red Cross.  Please call (281) 413-4009 for more information.


PLEASE don't buy supplies!  Donations have poured in from all over the country and the best way to say thanks is to put these donations to good use!  You can find bottled water and a variety of food, baby supplies, toiletries, paper products, clothing in all sizes, shoes, cleaning supplies, etc.!  Whether you *need* it, or not, please check the supplies before purchasing anything.  Help yourself to whatever you can use.

Visit the following locations for supplies:
Old Fire Station, Tabor
Fremont County Emergency Management Center, Sidney
The United Methodist Church in Shenandoah has a Missions Room full of clothing and household items.  It's free to anyone in need.  Call 712-246-2081 or stop by the church office at 200 Church St.
If you know a child in need of a bed, apply with Sleep in Heavenly Peace.  CLICK HERE to be taken to the application page.


Dinners are served to displaced residents of McPaul and Bartlett Tuesdays at 5 pm at the Tabor Community Center.  Contact Dawn Miller at 402-515-4015 for more information.


Medical Services

Penn Drug in Sidney is offering free tetanus shots.

Counseling/Mental & Emotional Health Services

Stressed about recovery efforts?  Legal questions?  Worried about your children?  Access Project Recovery Iowa by calling Iowa Concern Hotline at 1-800-447-1985.


SWIPCO will provide transportation to displaced flood victims.  Call (712) 243-4196.


Black Hills Energy can be reached at 1-888-890-5554 for customer service, 1-800-694-8989 for emergency service, or at www.blackhillsenergy.com.

Office Services

The Fremont County Extension Office located at 610 Clay Street in Sidney is able to provide computers, internet, telephones, faxing, printing, copying, laminating.  There will be no charge for services related to flood relief.  


Parker Ag Innovations in Emerson is offering 30% off DryShod Boots and Kent feeds, and 50% off Decon Seven, which kills mold, to all flood victims.
For those who lost eyewear in the flood of 2019. Olson Eye Care, Council Bluffs is offering replacement items free of charge (712) 256-1111.

Pets & Livestock

Call the HAY AND LIVESTOCK SUPPLIES HOTLINE at (402) 542-0775 or email Heartlandlivestockaid@gmail.com for assistance.


For a list of available rentals in the Sidney area, contact City Hall at 712-374-2223.
Waubonsie Apartments and Hodges Ridge Apartments in Sidney are housing options.  Call (712) 374-6406.
For housing in Shenandoah, call Autumn Park at (712) 246-4898, Forest Park Manor at (712) 246-3213, Valley View Apartments at (712) 246-2044, Shenwood Apartments at (712) 246-2340, Lowell Street Apartments at (712) 629-5016, Holmes Apartments at (712) 246-1190, Rodney Vogel at (660) 528-0133, Judy Smith at (712) 370-3584, Stacey Moyer at (712) 350-1199, Roger Snyder at (712) 374-3195, Tom Ayers at (712) 215-1991, Amy Maher at (712) 246-8062, Kenneth Timmerman at (712) 314-4966, Larry Shum at (712) 246-5211 or Lea Fienup at (712) 215-0679.
Apartments may be available at:

  • Clarinda Low Rent Housing, 712-542-2912
  • Clarinda West Apartments, 712-542-2249
  • Meadow Run Apartments, 712-542-2249
  • Timber Creek Apartments, 712-542-4075 

Murphy Management Company may have rental properties available in southwest Iowa.  Call (515) 295-2927.



Manage donations at the Emergency Management Building.  Call (712) 374-3355 for more information.


So many supplies have poured in, and they are so appreciated!  However, storage space is limited, and many needs can only be fulfilled with money and gift cards.  Please consider donating financially.  Gas cards, pre-paid cell phone cards, gift cards to local grocery and department stores, and pre-paid credit cards would be amazing!
The Fremont County Community Foundation, an affiliate of the Omaha Community Foundation, has established the Fremont County Flood Fund to provide relief in Fremont County to those who have been affected by the 2019 Missouri River flooding.  Donations to the fund will go directly to flood victims in Fremont County through an application process managed by West Central Community Action and the Fremont County Long Term Recovery Group.  Donations to this fund can be made via check or online donation. Checks should be made payable to the Fremont County Flood Fund and mailed to the Fremont County Community Foundation, 3555 Farnam Street, Suite 222, Omaha, NE 68131 or dropped off at any of the following bank locations:  Arbor Bank - Sidney; First Heritage Bank – Farragut and Shenandoah; First State Bank - Tabor; Great Western Bank – Sidney and Shenandoah; Tri-Valley Bank - Randolph.  To make an online donation, visit https://omahafoundation.org/donate/ and select “Southwest Iowa Funds” and “Fremont County Flood Fund” from the dropdown lists, then complete the fields that follow to indicate your donation amount, personal information and payment details. (Credit card donations will incur a 3% merchant processing fee from the credit card company.)  Donations are tax-deductible and will receive a gift receipt from the Omaha Community Foundation, which is a 501(c)(3) public charity, allowing for maximum tax benefits.  Advisory Board members of the Fremont County Community Foundation are: Chair, Kent Claiborne of Hamburg; Vice Chair, Steve Lorimor of Farragut; Secretary/Treasurer, Erika Graham of Sidney; Lindsey Carter of Randolph; Jonna Loewe of Sidney; and Staci Shearer of Farragut.  For additional information on the flood relief fund, please contact any of the aforementioned board members, or Stacey Goodman, Iowa Foundations Director, at 800-794-3458 or stacey@omahafoundation.org.
To donate to the Hamburg Community Fund, visit https://www.paypal.me/hamburgCF or make donations in person at any Great Western Bank. The account name is Hamburg Economic Development.
Hamburg Economic Development has started a Facebook fundraiser as another convenient option.  Visit:  https://www.facebook.com/donate/1364319983693338/
Donations are being accepted for Hamburg at https://www.gofundme.com/2p7jy2-hamburg-strong-hamburg-ia-relief-and-recovery?fbclid=IwAR0S3UDxwFwzmVW1VBAyG72Uq2DXukjZJYDhBgDVIOaDmzIGjxuf4SSlzp4
A Facebook fundraiser has been started by Benton County Corn Growers called "Grower to Grower Distaster Relief."  100% of the money raised will go to helping farmers who have been affected by the recent flooding that has devastated the agricultural industry in south west Iowa.  Donate here:  https://www.facebook.com/donate/322199545108765/


We are seeking groups such as churches, companies or civic organizations to serve meals to the following groups:

  • 40 people, Tuesdays at 5:00 pm, for displaced residents of McPaul and Barlett.  Contact Dawn Miller at (402) 515-4015 to volunteer.



Supply donations will be accepted at the Emergency Management Office at 2014 290th Ave. in Sidney.  Call (712) 374-3355 to arrange a drop-off time.
Gift cards are widely needed, especially for gas and groceries.  


If you have any hay or feed for livestock you can call 402-542-0775 or email at harlandlivestockaide@gmail.com to donate to the Iowa and Nebraska Food for Animals hotline.


Campers are needed for temporary housing.  If you have a camper you would allow a displaced victim to use, please call the Emergency Management office at (712) 374-3355.
If you have a rental property or a housing solution, please call City Hall at 712-374-2223.


Contact Fremont County Emergency Management at (712) 374-3355.
Please contact us at (712) 374-2351 or xfremont@iastate.edu with any questions, concerns, to request assistance, to offer assistance, or to update any information listed here.

Share |