Power of Produce (PoP) Club is a farmers’ market incentive program designed to empower children to make healthful food choices. Each week, children ages 4 through 12 attend PoP Club to take part in educational activities, taste fresh produce and receive a $2 token to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables at the market.
We offered the program at two farmers’ markets - Rock Rapids and Sheldon - this summer.
Summer 2019 Stats
- 131 Total Children from 67 Families
- 92 Participants in Rock Rapids
- 39 Participants in Sheldon
- 9 Total Weeks at each Farmers’ Market
- 377 Individual Program Visits
- 39% of Participants Attended 3+ Times
- $636 reimbursed to local growers.
- 80% of families reported attending the farmers’ market more often than normal.
- 15% of families attended the farmers’ market for the first time this summer.
- 67% of families reported spending either somewhat or much more money at the farmers’ market.
- 67% of surveyed vendors reported an increase in sales.
PoP Club Sponsors
Sheldon Sanford Health, Rock Rapids Sanford Health and Rock Rapids Chamber of Commerce
What Vendors are Saying
- “[The] kids are willing to talk about the veggies and how they like to eat them.”
- “The kids want to buy what they tried and the parents buy other things, too.”
- “I think PoP Club brings them in. I only sell baked goods… but parents buy anyway.”
What Families are Saying
- “My kids have become more involved in choosing and trying vegetables. They really looked forward to going to the farmers’ market each week.”
- “The first week the kids tasted broccoli - they all loved it so much they used their tokens to buy broccoli and then ate all of it raw on the way home. I wish they did this in more towns.”
What the Kids are Saying
- Favorite Part of PoP Club: Buying at the Market
- Have you tried any new fruits or vegetables during PoP Club? Banana Peppers
- Other Comments? Thanks for doing PoP Club!
--- Kellen, age 7
- Favorite Part of PoP Club: Picking out a Vegetable
- What is your favorite fruit or vegetable you’ve bought with your PoP tokens? Raspberries
--- Isaac, age 4
- Favorite Part of PoP Club: New Foods to Try
- Other Comments: It’s fun to try new produce and PoP gives you a chance to.
--- Lucia, age 9
Positive Impacts on Children’s Eating Behaviors After Participating in PoP*
- 100% said…
… My children are interested in attending the farmers’ market more often.
… My children enjoy the farmers’ market more.
… My children interact with the farmers’ market vendors more often.
… My children are trying more fruits/vegetables at home.
- 90% said…
… My children help choose the fruits/vegetables we buy at the farmers’ market more often.
- 80% said…
… My children eat more fruits/vegetables at home.
- 60% said…
… My children help prepare fruits/vegetables we buy at the farmers’ market more often.
… Our family has more fruits/vegetables in our home.
* Results based on our PoP Club Post Survey completed by 10 parents/guardians of PoP Club mem- bers from two market sites as part of ISU Extension and Outreach’s PoP Club Evaluation.