See our 2017 Local Foods Program annual report for highlights
Our Local Foods Program 2017 annual report is available for viewing at this link!
The new report profiles some of the exciting food systems projects going on all over the state of Iowa, many of which our staff is privileged to support.
- We helped the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship survey commercial horticulture farmers in 2015, and analyze and report the data in 2017. The 882 producers who responded to the survey reported $48 million in economic output in 2015.
- Through our work with the North Central Region Center for FSMA Training, Extension, and Technical Assistance, our team has helped train more than 1,500 Midwest vegetable producers in produce grower safety since 2016, so they can meet federal FSMA requirements.
- We helped 40 female offenders raise more than 7,000 lbs. of fresh produce for the prison cafeteria through the garden program we support at the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women in Mitchellville. Three “graduates” of the program went on to secure living-wage jobs in farming or landscaping after returning to the community in 2017.
- The Iowa Food Hub, a project we support in northeast Iowa, generated $815,000 in sales for 60 area farmers and food-based businesses in 2017.
- Iowa’s food hub managers took advantage of a financial management boot camp we organized, to help them improve their hubs’ profitability.
- Our Local Food Leader and Community Food Systems Programs received funding in 2017 to pilot their training in 10 states around the US in 2018.
Check out these stories and more inside the 16-page report.