Register now for 2021 ISU Community Food Systems virtual event
The 7th Annual ISU Community Food Systems Event will take place Friday, February 12, 2021! Due to COVID-19, this event will take place entirely online, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Register for the conference here. Cost is $20 and registration has been extended to Feb. 10.
This year’s event will focus on Retail and Leadership Within Community Food Systems, lifting up best practices around the nation in all community food systems areas. Join us to learn, engage, and discuss ways to promote community engagement, collective action and food systems projects.
The agenda includes a morning keynote from three food entrepreneurs: Todd Manly of Mutiny Island Vodka and Karla Fennessy of Quality Food (St. Croix, US Virgin Islands) and Taufeek Shah of Lola’s Fine Hot Sauces (Des Moines).
Two afternoon breakout sessions will cover three topics: business and organizational tools, community food access and minority-owned business strategies.
Here is a brief overview of the agenda (10 a.m. – 3 p.m.):
- 9:45 | Opening Programming
- 10:00 | Welcome
- 10:15 | Morning Keynote
- 11:15 | Breakouts, Morning Session
- 12:00 | Lunch & Lightning Round Presentations
- 12:45 | Breakouts, Afternoon Session
- 1:30 | Afternoon Keynote
- 2:30 | Closing Remarks
- 3:00 | Adjourn
Pre-conference sessions Feb. 5
A Local Food Leader Train the Trainer workshop ($200 for new certification, $100 for recertification) and Iowa Retail Initiative Champions session ($85) also will be offered virtually on Friday, February 5. Register for your choice of these sessions here. Registration closes Jan. 29.
- The LFL Train the Trainer session is for people who have taken the Local Food Leader certification. This next-level training equips them to host Local Food Leader workshops in their own community.
- Iowa Retail Initiative Champions, from the ISU Extension and Outreach Community and Economic Development program, is coaching program designed to strengthen independent retail in Iowa communities. Attendees typically include planners and leaders in business development and anyone whose work supports small businesses.
Need more information? Contact Bre Miller at email@example.com.