Agenda for 2019 CFS Event
Thursday, March 28
9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m: Local Food Leader Train the Trainer, $20 (Must complete online certification by March 22 in order to attend.)
6 – 7:30 p.m.: Networking event at hotel, featuring welcome by Gary Matteson of Farm Credit Council: “Celebrating Our Local Food Coordinators” at 6:30 p.m. Cash bar.
Friday, March 29
8 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Community Food Systems Program Annual Event,
8 a.m. – Registration and Networking
9 a.m. – Welcome and Poster Lightning Round
9:45 a.m. – Keynote: “Co-Creating Community Food,” Sommer Sibily-Brown, Virgin Islands Good Food Coalition, Inc.
10:15 a.m. – Networking Break
10:30 a.m. – Award and Certification Panels: 10-state panel regarding food systems certification
Noon – Lunch and Keynote: “What is Happening in Local Foods?” Arthur Neal, Jr., USDA Agricultural Marketing Service.
1:10 p.m. – Breakout Session 1:
- Beginning Farmer Training (Beth Grabau, Zach Couture, Emily Coll)
- Mapping and Technology (Ron Rainey, Matt Tortora, Tony Thompson, Dar Knipe, Christa Hartsook, Chris Seeger)
2:10 p.m. – Breakout Session 2:
- Food Systems Curriculum and Certification: Part I (Courtney Long, Kathleen Liang, Arthur Neal)
- Power of Produce (Margaret Murphy)
- Farmer Feasibility (Gary Matteson)
3:10 p.m. – Breakout Session 3:
- Food Systems Curriculum and Certification: Part 2 (Courtney Long, Kathleen Liang, Arthur Neal)
- Teaching through Art (Tina Bakehouse)
- Food to its Highest Purpose: Gleaning, Donation, Composting (Emily Paull, Aubrey Alvarez, Carly McAndrews)
We will also offer “open sessions” where individuals who register can share ideas for facilitated discussion during the breakouts. Participants will receive a survey about 10 days before the conference to suggest use of open space time if they aren’t interested in a breakout provided.
4:10 p.m. – Capnote: “Creating Momentum,” Courtney Long, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
4:30 p.m. Adjourn