4-H Horse and Pony ID
- 4-H animals are to be identified by May 15th and State Fair eligible horses need photos uploaded into 4hOnline by May 15th.
- Read the 4-H 202 publication, “Iowa 4-H Livestock Show Requirements - Animal Identification, Weighing, and Exhibiting Requirements for County, State and Interstate Shows”.
- Ownership is required of the 4-H animal. However, Horses have an official lease (4H 106 CL) option as a 4-H project. The 4-H’er must complete a lease form. Only showmanship, riding or driving horses are eligible for lease; horses in halter/conformation classes, cannot be leased and must be owned by the 4-H’er.
- Horse and dog project animals can be identified by more than one 4-H member provided the members are all 4-H members and are siblings. Sibling definition includes brother, sister or step-siblings with one common parent/guardian. The same animal(s) cannot be identified by one sibling in 4-H and another sibling in FFA.
- Maximum of 5 head can be identified; of those, a max. of 2 may be leased
- Registration papers are required for State Fair halter classes (upload to 4hOnline or present papers at check-in)
- Proper spacing is 2 horse lengths or more distance from you and the horse in front of you.
- If you must stop for tack adjustment or for the rider’s needs, come to the center of the ring to do so.
- Do not mount or otherwise congregate in the entrance to the riding area.
A step-by-step procedure for consistent, accurate measurement of horses and ponies.
Equine Extravaganza provides opportunities for all youth in grades 4 through 12 to share their knowledge of the equine industry through a variety of competitions and participatory events. Select opportunities are also open to young people in third grade. You do not need to be a member of 4-H to register. As a part of the event, a judge's clinic is also offered. This opportunity is for adults wanting to become certified or re-certified to judge at a county or regional equine shows in Iowa. The 2021 Extravaganza is scheduled for September 24-26 at the Ellsworth Community College Equestrian Center in Iowa Falls.
Iowa 4-H and Youth horse activities
Informational Meeting on the Contests and Participatory Events at the Annual Equine Extravaganza
February 26, 2023
2:00 - 4:00 PM
Ellsworth Community College Agriculture & Renewable Energy Center, Room 110, 705 Ellsworth Ave., Iowa Falls, IA