- Proper spacing is 2 horse lengths or more distance from you and the horse in front of you.
- If you must stop for tack adjustment or for the rider’s needs, come to the center of the ring to do so.
- Do not mount or otherwise congregate in the entrance to the riding area.
A step-by-step procedure for consistent, accurate measurement of horses and ponies.
Iowa 4-H and Youth horse activities
Informational Meeting on the Contests and Participatory Events at the Annual Equine Extravaganza
February 26, 2023
2:00 - 4:00 PM
Ellsworth Community College Agriculture & Renewable Energy Center, Room 110, 705 Ellsworth Ave., Iowa Falls, IA
4-H Horse and Pony ID
- 4-H animals will be identified by May 15th, and State Fair-eligible horses need photos uploaded into 4-H Online by May 15th.
- Read the 4-H 202 publication, “Iowa 4-H Livestock Show Requirements - Animal Identification, Weighing, and Exhibiting Requirements for County, State, and Interstate Shows”.
- An individual 4-H member must identify all animals. When registration papers are involved, the papers must be in the 4-H member’s name or show a logical family relationship.
- All animals are to be owned by the 4-H member. Counties may have sharing or leasing options for certain species and may require a leasing form (i.e., horse) or other paperwork. Check with your county extension office for these alternatives.
- A maximum of 5 heads can be identified.
- Animals cannot be identified under both 4-H and FFA.
- Animals can be identified by more than one 4-H member (immediate sibling or step-sibling only), but cannot be identified as 4-H under one sibling and FFA under another sibling.
- 4-H Online ID is required by May 15. ALL horses must upload photos into 4-H Online by May 15(county and state fair).
Equine Extravaganza provides opportunities for all youth in grades 4 through 12 to share their knowledge of the equine industry through a variety of competitions and participatory events. Select opportunities are also open to young people in third grade. You do not need to be a member of 4-H to register. As a part of the event, a judge's clinic is also offered. This opportunity is for adults wanting to become certified or re-certified to judge at a county or regional equine shows in Iowa. The 2021 Extravaganza is scheduled for September 24-26 at the Ellsworth Community College Equestrian Center in Iowa Falls.