Looking for resources on Iowa horse judging? This page provides a list or resources that might come in handy, check it out!
The list contains the names of judges who have expressed interest in judging 4-H and open shows and met the criteria established by Iowa State University. New judges complete an application and current judges review your information annually.
The judge’s directory provides a list of potential judges for committees to consider when selecting judges. Listing in the directory should not be interpreted as proven judging ability, but rather as a statement that these judges have made a conscientious effort to improve.
Extension Horses HALTER courses are revitalized!
Welcome to the revitalized Horse Adult Leader Training and Educational Resource (HALTER) Program brought to you by Extension Horses, INC! This progressive series of four lessons is designed to offer equine science information, student activities, and techniques to foster positive youth development. Each level builds on the previous one.
Once you successfully complete each level, and the associated requirements, you will receive a certificate of completion!
Topics in each level include:
Halter Level 1
- Keeping your horse at home
- Basic horse care and management
- Horse Power: Positive Youth Development and Horses
Halter Level 2
- Introduction to Horses and Horse Activities
- Understanding Bits for Horses
- Learning Styles and Riding Instruction
- Ages and Stages for Working with Youth
Halter Level 3
- Basics of Horse Ownership
- Equine Body Condition Scoring
- Top Ten Coaching Tips for Youth Riders
Halter Level 4
- Equine Pasture Management
- Effective Horse Training and Rider Development
- Parenting Tips for Horse Shows
Cost is $10per course. If you purchase all 4, you can get a 20% discount!
You can enroll at:
Produced by Extension Horses (https://horses.extension.org/)