We all know that having horses requires more than just jumping on and riding! One way to help youth get motivated to learn more about the science behind horses is to encourage them to get involved in Equine Extravaganza.
Save the dates for the 2020 Equine Extravaganza – March 20-22! This is held at Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls. It isn’t too soon to start gathering a team! The following activities are part of this event:
- Horse Quiz Bowl – Friday evening
- Hippology – Saturday
- Horseless Horse exhibit judging – Saturday
- Public Speaking contest – Saturday
- Team and individual Demonstration contest – Saturday
- Horse Judging Contest – Sunday
- 4-H Horse Judges certification – Sunday
- Model Horse - Sunday
Information from previous years is available now on this website: https://www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/equineextravaganza Please check back for information that will be updated for 2020 shortly after the first of the year.
If you have never participated before, consider attending this year and observing or if you don’t mind jumping in, consider encouraging youth to participate!
Additional resources for quiz bowl and Hippology include:
- Horse Industry Handbook - https://www.ayhc.com/shop
- Horse Smarts: An equine reference and youth activity guide - https://www.ayhc.com/shop
- Horse Learning Lab Kits from Ohio State University - https://extensionpubs.osu.edu/horse-learning-lab-kit/
If you are looking to start a horse judging team, consider checking out some of these resources:
- Texas A & M – classes -- https://animalscience.tamu.edu/livestock-species/equine/online-judging/ Scroll down and you will find the 2015 Houston show videos
- http://horsejudging.com/ I have never had a subscription here, just the free account.
- Look at youtube and search for horse judging classes or for specific classes.
Some great publications:
- AQHA competitive horse judging manual - https://www.aqha.com/news-and-publications/e-books/free-ebooks/competitive-horse-judging-manual1
- UNL – horse judging resource page - https://animalscience.unl.edu/horse-judging-information
- North Carolina – horse judging resource page - https://equinehusbandry.ces.ncsu.edu/equinehusbandry-educational-materials/horse-judging-resource-material/
Online subscription resources:
- Texas A & M horse judging https://campus.extension.org/course/search.php?search=horse+judging
Lastly, if you haven’t joined our 4-H Horse Project Leaders Facebook page, please consider this your invitation to do so! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1420123681586863/
Lisa Berkland | IA
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
4-H Youth Development Specialist
2008 10th Street
Emmetsburg, IA 51358