During times of natural disaster, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach offers educational resources to reduce the personal impact of natural disasters, working in partnership with the local, state and federal agencies addressing the disaster. This page is updated with research-based educational resources for specific types of disaster (flooding, drought, storm, etc.) when events occur. Read more about Recovering From Disasters
Severe weather is common in Iowa and the Midwest, from spring and summer tornadoes, hail storms and excessive heat to the blizzards of winter. Being prepared and aware of predicted weather events are key to staying safe.
- All-Hazards Booklet, from the Center for Food Security and Public Health at Iowa State University, this 100 page booklet was developed as a resource for citizens of rural agricultural communities. The booklets’ four sections contain an overview of a particular hazard and several informational handouts in a check list format to help guide individuals in preparing for a particular hazard before it occurs, during the event, and recovering from the situation.
- Understanding Farm Mediation - video explaining the mediation process and resources to guide the process
- Disaster Designation Information - USDA Farm Service Agency
While you still have power and internet access, visit the sites below for easy steps to prepare for extreme cold/winter conditions. Start by ensuring that you and your family are “ready” for winter. Then think about your office, vehicle, home, and buildings. Steps you take today can help for months to come.
- All Hazards – Resources for Rural Communities to Prepare for Winter Storms
- Winter-Storms-and-Your-Family (2 pages)
- Winter-Storms-and-Your-Livestock (1 page)
- Winter-Storms-and-Your-Business (1 page)
- Iowa Department of Transportation – Traveler Information or call 5-1-1
- Download the free app for iPhone or Android
- Ready.gov power outage resources from the Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Motor Vehicles: Winterize your vehicle