During times of natural disaster, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach offers educational resources to reduce the personal impact of natural disasters, working in partnership with the local, state and federal agencies addressing the disaster. This page is updated with research-based educational resources for specific types of disaster (flooding, drought, storm, etc.) when events occur.
Have a plan
The best time to plan for a disaster is before an event occurs
- Make a Family Emergency Plan - Ready Iowa – provided by Iowa Homeland Security & Emergency Management
- Know DNR's Role in Disaster Response and Recovery
Talk to an expert
Iowa Concern Hotline - 1-800-447-1985
A confidential, free resource answered 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. Language interpretation available.
Information and resources for consumers with home and family questions.
Toll-free Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - noon and 1 - 4 p.m.
- 1-800-262-3804 (in Iowa)
- 1-800-854-1678 (in Minnesota)
- 1-888-393-6336 (in South Dakota)
- 1-800-735-2942 (Relay Iowa phone linkage for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals)
Finding Answers Now - resources for the human side of disasters. Managing stress, relationships and family finances