Hello! We wanted to take this time to let you know given the circumstances of COVID-19, the Tri-State Dairy Youth Expo originally scheduled for Thursday, September 10, 2020 has now been cancelled.
However,…. Iowa's Dairy Center, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, and Northeast Iowa Community College are proud to bring you virtual class curriculum for your students and keep them on task for next year’s contest! These materials can be used in your classroom as you see fit.
Dairy Science students at both ISU and NICC are working together to provide dairy judging resources for your students. The ISU Dairy Science Club have recorded virtual trainings on how to judge a dairy cow and how to give oral reasons.
- Dairy Judging 101 (pdf)
- Dairy Judging 101 (You-Tube)
- Tips for Giving Oral Reasons when Judging Dairy Cattle (pdf)
- Tips for Giving Oral Reasons when Judging Dairy Cattle (You-Tube)
- Learning to Give Oral Reasons by ISU Dairy Specialist, Fred Hall (pdf)
The NICC Dairy Science Club has put together pre-recorded sets of cow classes that you can use for classroom instruction. ISU Dairy Science Club has also provided official placings on the classes, along with an official set of reasons on one of the cow classes.
- Holstein 3 Year Old Cows (You-Tube)
- Holstein Aged Cows (You-Tube)
- Jersey 4 Year Old Cows (You-Tube)
- Jersey 4 Year Old Sample Oral Reasons Given by ISU Dairy Science Club (You-Tube)
- Dairy Judging Practice Classes - Official Placings and Cuts
Dr. Stephanie Clark, Iowa State University Food Science Department, provided virtual instruction of the Dairy Foods Contest and a copy of a Dairy Foods Test/Key that can be used as a practice for future contests.
- Dairy Products from Farm to Table (You-Tube)
- Dairy Products Judging Contest Training (You-Tube)
- FFA Dairy Foods Exam - 2018 (1)
- FFA Dairy Foods Exam - 2018 (2)
- FFA Dairy Foods Exam - 2019 (1)
- FFA Dairy Foods Exam - 2019 (2)
While we know part of the experience of the Tri-State Dairy Youth Expo is coming to Iowa’s Dairy Center, networking with other students, visiting NICC campus, and tour a working dairy, we hope these trainings will help you going forward in preparing for many contests in years to come.
We will be asking for feedback on the curriculum provided. An evaluation can be found HERE, we would appreciate your feedback!
Best regards and have a safe start to your upcoming school year! Kind regards, Tri-State Dairy Youth Committee