Spring 2022 workshop schedule is now available.
Please register at the link below for the session you would like to attend.
- Okoboji--postponed; new date is TBD : https://go.iastate.edu/BUTKVG
- April 5th, Decorah at Hotel Winneshiek: https://go.iastate.edu/I1ODIN
- April 14th, Waterloo at Waterloo Center for the Arts: https://go.iastate.edu/NCWGVN
- April 19th, Fort Dodge at Iowa Central Community College: https://go.iastate.edu/DE6C8Q
- May 3rd, Davenport at The River's Edge: https://go.iastate.edu/Q84HWN
- May 10th, Creston at Supertel Inn & Conference Center: https://go.iastate.edu/BDVY3F
- May 31st, Johnston/Urbandale at Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale: https://go.iastate.edu/LNMR4D
Video of Program Details
About the Introduction to Planning and Zoning Workshops
The Introduction to Planning and Zoning for Local Officials workshop is a three-hour session designed to introduce the basic principles of land use planning and development management to elected officials, planning and zoning officials, and board of adjustment members without formal training in the subjects. Using case scenarios in a highly-interactive format, the workshop highlights issues frequently faced in the land use process, such as the roles and responsibilities of the planning and zoning commission, the board of adjustment, and the elected council and board of supervisors. It also will highlight legal issues frequently faced by local officials, such as variances, special uses, nonconforming uses, spot zoning, hearing procedures, and conflicts of interest.
The workshop has been pre-approved by the Iowa Municipal Finance Officers Association and the Iowa League of Cities for credits toward certification.
New board or commission members? We will conduct a workshop tailored to your community’s needs anytime throughout the year.
Contact for costs and scheduling: