GIS and Mapping Task Sheets - Two-page recipes for completing common GIS and mapping tasks.
Data and Code for Task Sheets - GitHub page where you can access all the data and code used in the task sheets.
ISU GIS Labs - List of computer labs on the Iowa State University campus with access to GIS software
- Iowa Geographic Map Server: Orthophotos
- Iowa DOT (Department of Transportation): Infrastructure data and geo-referenced county highway maps as well as various administrative boundaries.
- NRGIS Library (Department of Natural Resources): Biologic and ecologic data, environmental regulation, administrative boundaries, imagery, LiDAR, etc.
- Iowa State University GIS Facility: GIS ftp server
- Kaiser State Health Facts: Provide free, up-to-date, and easy-to-use health data on all 50 states
- NOAA's National Weather Service GIS Data Portal: Downloadloadable shapefiles, web services, and KML files
- USGS The National Map: Visualize, inspect, and download topographic basemap data
- FAO GeoNetwork: Interactive maps, satellite imagery and related spatial databases
- The Iowa Environmental Mesonet (IEM): High resolution depiction of rainfall estimates over the state of Iowa
- Iowa Community Indicators Program (ICIP): Provides data and research on local demographic, social, and economic trends in Iowa.
- Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Indicators Portal: data displayed as interactive state maps, mapping tools, data training.
- ESRI ArcGIS: An international supplier of industry standard geographic information systems software. The software is supported at ISU through a campus license.
- QGIS: A free and open source geographic information system. Create, edit, visualize, analyze, and publish geospatial information on Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD (Android coming soon).
Web Mapping Software