The Data Science for Public Good Young Scholars program invites Iowa State University faculty, state and county agencies, nonprofits, and communities to submit applications for the 2023 summer program.
Suitable projects will have the following characteristics:
- A project sponsor with staff or members who are willing and interested in engaging in the project (faculty members; community members; small business owners; or state, county, or local government or nonprofit staff, etc.).
- A clearly defined project problem statement identifying the scope of work and how data science (data acquisition, analysis, and/or visualization) might help the sponsor or public better understand the issue(s).
- Data necessary to address the issue that can be made available to the DSPG team.
- A project scope suitable for a 10-week project (~800 hours of student/staff/faculty effort)
- A project that addresses some element of the public good, health, or rural prosperity.
- A grant or other funding source to sponsor and support the project. Fees for 2023 are projected to be between $26,000 and $29,000 per project.
Communities or organizations interested in the 2023 program can apply online on the DSPG Young Scholars website (https://dspg.iastate.edu/how-apply-projects). Questions about the applications process can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.