Extension Council members are elected by the voters of Buchanan County to serve four-year terms. The council oversees the planning, preparation, marketing, and delivery of ISU Extension and Outreach educational programming in the county.
Buchanan County Extension council meetings are held the second Monday of each month* at 6 pm and open to the public. Buchanan County residents are invited to attend and allowed to make comments at the start of the meeting. Meetings are held in the Theater at Heartland Acres Agribition Center and Museum located at 2600 Swan Lake Boulevard, Independence, IA 50644.
*Meeting dates are subject to change.
2023 COUNCIL MEETINGS
1/9, 2/13, 3/6, 4/11, 5/8, 6/12, 7/24, 9/11, 10/9, 11/13
What is the role of a County Extension Council Member?
- They represent their county – they bring an understanding of local issues to important decisions about educational opportunities.
- They bring significant programs to their county and region that help people solve critical issues affecting their lives.
- They represent Iowa State University Extension and Outreach and act on our behalf locally.
- They have the responsibility to be a good steward of taxpayer dollars.
- They provide mentoring and leadership for county paid staff.
- They agree to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, including regularly attending council meeting.
Increase your leadership and networking opportunities through new relationships that benefit your county and help position ISU Extension and Outreach to move our state forward.
How do you become a Council Member?
As a qualified voter in the Buchanan County Extension district, you are eligible to be a candidate for county extension council.
To qualify as a candidate, you will need to obtain 25 signatures on a nominating petition, from the Linn county auditor’s office. We would urge you to obtain a few additional signatures, but 30 or 35 will be sufficient. When the petition has been completed, you will need to return it to the county auditor’s office and sign an affidavit at that time. The petition must be filed at the auditor’s office.