Application: used within buildings to reduce emission of odors and gases from the building and manure storage
- Improved air quality within the building for animals.
- Potential to increase nitrogen retention in liquid.
- Separation of nitrogen and phosphorus may have benefits.
- Difficult to incorporate into an existing building.
- Two waste streams must be handled.
- Equipment sources are not well developed.
- Maintenance could be a challenge.
Application: used to reduce ammonia, methane, and odor emissions from manure storages
- Proven technology from municipal wastewater treatment facilities.
- Extremely effective for odor control.
- Energy intensive to provide sufficient aeration.
- Maintenance and performance of the system during winter months.
- Typically cause loss of nitrogen.
- Higher sludge generation in the storage.