Shooting Sports Leaders Training
The National 4-H Shooting Sports Committee has strongly recommended that all 4-H Shooting Sports Instructors attend recertification training to maintain their status as an approved 4-H Shooting Sports Instructors. Leaders trained in 2015 or earlier will be required to attend a session in 2018. Recertification sessions will be offered for all SESS disciplines on a 3-year rotating basis with every discipline offered at least every year. Leaders Trained in 2015 or earlier will be required to attend a session in 2018.
Leader Training and Recertification
2018 Recertification Dates:
- July 28: Fort Dodge - On Line Registration http://bit.ly/FDSESS
- July 29: Winterset - On Line Registration http://bit.ly/WintersetSS
- September 16: Marshalltown
- November 11: Clover Woods, Madrid
You can sign up for AM or PM Training or attend both. $25 or each session. AM Training 8 a.m. to 1 PM. PM Training 1 PM to 5PM. All participants must be approved from local county extension office. This process, which must be completed prior to attending the training, requires an active 4-H volunteer status and current background checks as part of the 4-H Child Protection and Safety Policy administered by their County Extension Office. Contact your County Extension Office for more details.
Training will be offered in Archery, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Wildlife Skills and Coordinator.
There is a minimum number of registrants needed in each discipline to provide the trainings so please register early to insure that disciplines will be held!
2018 New Leaders Training Dates:
- September 14-15: Marshalltown
Shooting Sports Instructors
The success of 4-H programs relies heavily on dedicated volunteers. Shooting sports instructors are responsible for the overall coordination and management of the county/area 4-H shooting sports program. If you are interested in being a volunteer or instructor for a shooting sports program, contact your county ISU Extension Office today.
1. Administration: follow state plan, policies, and risk management requirements. Complete reports and maintain 4-H membership records and maintain equipment inventories.
2. Communications: develop good working relationships with members, parents, instructors, volunteers and Extension professional staff.
3. Planning: work with other instructors, Extension staff, parents, members and community
partners to develop a county shooting sports short-term and long-term plan to create the best possible program for your county. This includes setting up a 4-H Shooting Sports Committee that seeks to grow the program.
4. Volunteer Development: Recruit, orientate, and recognize instructors and other adult and teen volunteers (on-going).
5. Resource Development: Develop resources such as cash, equipment and use of facilities and
keep financial and asset records in accordance with Iowa 4-H policy.
6. Promote the 4-H SESS program to youth, families and the community through various ways.
7. Plan/schedule supplemental learning experiences-tours, special events, service projects, etc.
8. Liaison with the Extension Service and county 4-H committee.
9. Ensure quality control of county program by monitoring club SESS activities.
1. Age 21 or older and successful completion of the child protection and safety policy screening process.
2. Willingness to attend on-going training
3. Ability to work with adults and delegate responsibility.
4. Have an interest in the development of youth and shooting sports.
5. State certification and re-certified as required.
6. Previous leadership experience.
7. Organizational, management, communication, public relations and marketing skills.
8. Knowledge of networking and collaborating.
9. Knowledge of overall 4-H program and activities and/or willing to learn about them.
10. Moral standards consistent with the 4-H philosophy.
1. 4-H SESS coordinator training workshop.
2. 4-H SESS curriculum handbook upon completion of the workshop.
3. Local volunteer training programs.
Contact your county ISU Extension Office
- 2017 Iowa 4-H SESS Summary Report.pdf
- SESS STATE LEADERS.pdf
- Coordinator Job Description
- Discipline Instructor Job Description
- Activity Log
- Indoor Air Rifle Range
- Instructions SESS Annual Report.pdf
- SESS County Summary.doc
Certificates for Youth Completion Basic Discipline Course
- Archery Basic Safety Course
- Muzzleloader Basic Safety Course
- Rifle Basic Safety Course
- Shotgun Basic Safety Course