In the 4-H sheep project you can learn bout breeds, selection, grooming, production, management, showmanship, marketing, and careers.
- Learn basic principles of animal science by owning, caring for, and keeping records on one or more head of livestock.
- Gain knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices.
- Identify quality in wholesale and retail cuts of meat to understand the relationship to management principles.
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Learn health and care of your sheep
- Produce a healthy and safe meat product
- Learn proper feeding of sheep
- Understand medications for health of your sheep
- Practice breeding management practices
- Develop cost and expense records
- Select breeding animals
- Measure your pasture's productivity
- Plan and organize production records
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Design a poster on parts of the animal
- Participate in a judging contest giving oral reasons
- Give a shearing demonstration
- Volunteer your lamb for a community petting zoo
- Hand out food samples at your local grocery store
- Volunteer to help at the county sheep weigh-in
- Invite other 4-H members to tour your farm
- Teach others how to safely handle sheep
- Lead a sheep showmanship and grooming clinic
Participate in the 4-H sheep show
- Breeding sheep
- Market lambs
- Rate of gain
Consider an exhibit, notebook or display showing what you have learned in a sheep-related topic
- Meat cuts and proper preparation
- Feeding rations
- How to select and judge your lamb
- Proper exercising techniques
- Feed additives and their proper use
Fungus & Scrapie Information