In this project you can do fun experiments, prepare recipes, and go on fact-finding missions. You’ll have fun learning about food ingredients, food characteristics, nutrition and food safety.
- Use My Plate to make healthy food choices
- Understand how nutrition affects health, fitness, and your appearance
- Learn to prepare and store foods safely
- Learn about the science of nutrition
- Learn skills in planning, purchasing, preparing and serving tasty and nutritious meals
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Learn how to read a recipe and use measuring equipment.
- Compare costs of purchased and homemade foods
- Learn how food spoils
- Learn how to keep your kitchen germ free
- Prepare a grocery list and go grocery shopping
- Learn safety know-how in the kitchen
- Make healthy fast food choices at home, at school and eating out
- Plan and prepare a meal
- Learn how to preserve and dry foods
- Learn to purchase foods on a limited budget
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Teach friends how to make healthy snacks
- Tell your family about the importance of eating a variety of foods from all the food groups
- Design a poster about kitchen safety
- Bake with the elderly at a care center
- Volunteer at a food pantry
- Offer locally grown food sampling at grocery store
- Take responsibility for planning and preparing one family meal each week
- Plan and help prepare food for a special family event
- Create a club fundraiser around food such as a meal or bake sale
- Learn to read nutrition labels on food.
- Experiment with altering recipes and share results.
- Compare cost of purchased vs. home made foods.
- Assemble a set of favorite recipes.
- Research sports drinks vs. water - make a poster or presentation on results.