Weigh-ins are canceled through May 31.
The identification of livestock has evolved substantially in the past few years and appears to be changing each year. Find out more on Premise ID and the use of retinal imaging for State Fair market animals.
If you're interested in learning how to retinal image livestock as a volunteer at the county level, check out the resources below including a training video.
Market Beef Weigh-Ins 2020
- Updates/Reminders for 2020
- Retinal Imaging Reminders 2020
- Retagging Procedure
- Market Beef State Fair RI Report 2020
Sheep/Meat Goat Weigh-Ins 2020
Swine State Fair Tagging 2020
Livestock Identification in 4HOnline
All livestock must be identified in 4HOnline for eligibility to exhibit at county fairs and the Iowa State Fair (with the exception of poultry for State Fair). Please refer to each specie's requirements on the 4-H Online ID pages and the 4H 202 publication Animal Identification, Weighing, and Exhibiting Requirements for County, State and Interstate Shows
- Animal ID on-line (PDF)
- Market Beef verification process (Word or PDF)
- Market Sheep verification process (Word or PDF)
- Market Swine verification process (Word or PDF)
- Market Broiler Entry Helpsheet (PDF)
Weigh-In Animal Identification / Verification Forms
The following animal identification forms were discontinued in 2019, as all information is gathered and managed within 4HOnline. County staff can access these forms to utilize or edit for local use if they wish.
Animal Care/Disclosure Forms (Drug Affidavits)
Original RI Machine
- Installing OptiReader Tools
- Formatting Your Flash Card
- Emailing Image Files
- Connecting GPS Antennas
- Bypassing the GPS
Online Database System
- Pricing Overview
- Training Video (see video at bottom of page)
- Adobe Connect PPT Dec. 2012 - Tablet Scanner Overview (and 4hOnline/FFA discussion)