Iowa Extension Council Association and 4-H Legislative Day is a county program opportunity for elected extension council members and senior-level 4-H members to learn about and experience the legislative process. Participants will meet with legislators, network with one another, and participate in educational activities.
- February 19, 2020, Iowa Capitol complex, Des Moines, IA
- Open to extension council members, 4-H members in grades 8-12, and Extension supporters.
- Extension council members will work with county youth staff to coordinate trip logistics such as the transportation and mentoring of 4-H members.
- This year’s activities will include a tour and activities at the World Food Prize.
- Lunch will be provided at a discounted cost for those who pre-register.
- Event information including a more detailed agenda can be found on the IECA website.
4-H Member Registration Information
- Registration will be open from January 2 to January 31, 2020.
- 4-H members who wish to attend should communicate with their county office prior to registering since each county is responsible for coordinating volunteers for their youth attendees.
- There is no limit to the number of youth that can attend from one county, but appropriate youth-adult ratios should be maintained.
- If a parent wishes to attend and/or provide transportation for their son or daughter, they are welcome to sign up using the registration form.
Youth Participant Information
- Work with your county youth staff to determine if there are council members attending from your county. If there are not, work with your county youth staff to extend an invitation by phone or by asking to be on the council agenda at their next meeting.
- Youth will receive a legislative day polo upon arrival. Please wear business casual or business professional attire. Business casual attire could include khaki or dress pants or skirts, optional blazers or cardigans, leather-style or dress shoes. Items to avoid for this type of event would include jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, sweatshirts.
- Legislative learning event resources webpage for information on preparing for 4-H legislative educational activities.
- School Excuse Letter
County Coordinator Information
- If you wish to provide this program opportunity to 4-H members in your county, you will work with your extension council participants to assist them in recruitment, making plans for transportation, and providing additional educational resources.
- Please work with 4-H members who have an interest in attending to find an Extension Council Member from your county who would be willing to serve as a volunteer mentor for the day. Involving the 4-H member in that invitation process makes for an excellent learning experience.
- If you have 4-H members attending, please ensure that you have one adult participant willing to serve as the official 4-H volunteer who has completed all of the necessary county screening.
- Remind youth to visit the Legislative learning event resources webpage to prepare for their learning experience. There is information here on finding out who your legislators are, and links to 4-H and Extension information.