Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF) is a 4-H leadership and civic engagement program for high school youth (completed grades 9-12 at the time of the trip). Each summer teens gather at the National 4-H Conference Center to learn what it means to be a strong leader in their community, country, and world.
Objectives for the program are:
- Strengthen communication, leadership, and other citizenship skills on a national level
- Understand the importance of civic and social responsibilities as they relate to the development of better citizens and leaders
- Exchange ideas, practice respect, and form friendships with other youth from diverse backgrounds
- Experience hands-on learning using the historical backdrop of our nation’s capital city, Washington, D.C.
These objectives are met through pre-trip education, speakers, workshops, daily excursions to view national sites, a day at the Capitol with elected officials, and a delegate designed and implemented action plan.
Citizenship Washington Focus brings together 4-H members from across the country. Read more from the national CWF website.
2021 Virtual Experience
Open to 9-12th grade 4-H members. Sessions will take place once a week, for 5 weeks, beginning Sunday, June 20, 2021. Each week will explore new topics in these areas:
- Week 1: June 20 - 6-9 PM ET – Empathy, Active Listening & Civil Discourse
- Week 2: June 27 - 6-9 PM ET – Exploring National Topics
- Week 3: June 5 - 6-9 PM ET – A Local Focus
- Week 4: July 11 - 6-9 PM ET – Change Making Strategies
- Week 5: July 18 - 6-9 PM ET– Action Plan Symposium
- Delegates will take part in workshops and simulations with the group and work with their delegations or workshop groups throughout the week offline on various activities and projects.
- Workshops will have elements of current CWF curriculum, as well as possible additions from the CWF:PI program.
- Registration fee will be under $250 per youth and is open to current 9-12th grade 4-H members.
- Registration is now open in 4HOnline through the events tab. Deadline to register is June 1st.
- Registration will be limited to 30 Iowa delegates.
Registration is NOW OPEN in 4HOnline through the events tab. Deadline to register is June 11.