Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF) is a 4-H leadership program for high school youth (grades 9-12). Each summer teens gather at the National 4-H Conference Center to learn what it means to be a strong leader in their community, country, and world.
Objectives for the program are:
- Strengthen communication, leadership, and other citizenship skills on a national level.
- Understand the importance of civic and social responsibilities as they relate to the development of better citizens and leaders.
- Exchange ideas, practice respect, and form friendships with other youth from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience hands-on learning using the historical backdrop of our nation’s Capital City, Washington, D.C.
These objectives are met through pre-trip education, speakers, workshops, daily excursions to view national sites, day at the Capitol with elected officials, and a delegate designed and implemented action plan.
Citizenship Washington Focus brings together 4-H members from across the country.Read more from the National CWF website.
June 15-23, 2018
Please note that the schedule remains tentative throughout the course of the trip as circumstances can change quickly in the DC area.
Deadline to register is Wednesday, January 10, 2018. Space is limited to first 48 delegate registrations.
Trip cost is $1700. This includes all lodging, travel, tours, and a majority of meals.
A $600 non-refundable deposit is due at time of registration. The remaining balance is two payments of $550 each due by February 15 and April 1, 2018.
Some county 4-H youth programs offer financial assistance to teens. Contact your county Extension and Outreach office to see what resources might be available. Also, some individual 4-H clubs or local civic groups might provide support as well. (Please scroll to the bottom of the page for more fundraising ideas.)
By completing the registration form, the teen participant and their parent/caregiver agrees the teen will:
- participate in (or view) pre-trip orientation or educational sessions prior to the trip
- complete needed paperwork and respond to questions in a timely manner
- follow the CWF Code of Conduct at all times during the trip
- complete an evaluation of the CWF experience
Online Registration form & pay deposit payment with credit card.
PDF Registration form to fill out and MAIL IN with deposit paid by check or money order.
Required Forms for CWF: Medical Information Form and Center Conduct Release Form
Adults Interested in Chaperoning
To indicate interest in being part of the Iowa 4-H CWF Chaperone Team, please return the chaperone application by January 10, 2018.
Why do I have to apply? We have so many terrific 4-H parents and volunteers who are willing to spend a week in our nation’s capital with a group of great 4-H teens. Overall, we want to select and put in place a chaperone team for the trip that covers the spectrum of talents and skills needed to support a safe, educational, and fun experience. The number of chaperones selected will be based on the final number of teens on the trip.
Learn more about chaperone roles, responsibilities and cost.
Chaperone application - to fill out and MAIL IN
Questions? Please contact Gail Castillo, CWF Trip Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 641-425-6914.