August 12, 2021
The Iowa State Fair 4-H Awardrobe Clothing Event is for 4-H members in grades 9-12 who are interested in showcasing apparel design and production knowledge. Youth share their understanding and use of design elements and principles within their selected category. Awards include top five entries in each class, two $25 awards for outstanding sewing skills in Fashion Revue presented by the Central Iowa Chapter of the American Sewing Guild. One participant who has expressed an interest in furthering their education in the area of textiles and clothing, hospitality management, or consumer sciences will be awarded a $500 scholarship to the Iowa State University College of Human Sciences' Department of Apparel, Educational Studies, and Hospitality Management.
The current year Iowa State Fair 4-H Exhibits, Communications and Awardrobe Premium Book and Schedule includes rules, participation guidelines, and awards. The rules section replaces several older publications, please use only publications posted on this page to assist your participants or judges with these events.
Each county may select the following number of participants in each class. The categories are only used for entry limit purposes and to encourage participants to explore a variety of clothing types, they are not used in the judging process.
- Fashion Revue Class: Four participants with no more than two (2) participants with an entry in any given category (athletic wear, formal wear, everyday wear, costume). Fashion Revue is for clothing project area members who will model an outfit of one to three pieces that they have constructed, hand-knitted, machine-knitted, or crocheted during the current 4-H year.
- $15 Challenge Class: Three participants with no more than one (1) participant with an entry in any given category (athletic wear, formal wear, everyday wear, costume). The $15 Challenge is for 4-Hers to model an outfit purchased for $15 or less from resale venues (garage sales, consignment or thrift stores, etc) that represents an intended use for the selected outfit. The participant should have had individual or group experiences in choosing shopping alternatives, evaluating fit, quality and construction features, price, and cost comparison. A receipt is required.
- Clothing Selection Class: Three participants with no more than one (1) participant with an entry in any given category (athletic wear, formal wear, everyday wear, costume). Clothing selection is for selected or purchased outfits that represent the 4-Her's goal or intended use, based on individual or group experiences in choosing shopping alternatives, evaluating fit, quality and construction features, price and cost comparison.
Awardrobe Clothing Event Youth Checklist
- Review the Awardrobe Clothing Event rules (on the State Fair information page). Please take note of these rules FAQs.
- 4-H members can represent their county at the state fair event in only one class per year. Counties will determine with their judges which entries will be selected for the state fair.
- Exhibits may not be used in the same year in both the Awardrobe Clothing Event and as a State Fair static exhibit.
- Please review the orientation video for information on how to fill out your report form.
- Fill out the Awardrobe Clothing Event Report Form 4HP 5091. You may use the Awardrobe Judges Comment Form 4HP 5090 to become familiar with the judging criteria. Visit our forms webpage for more information on using 4-H forms and documents.
- Submit the form, your receipts (if in $15 challenge), and one to three photos to your county 4-H staff before the deadline they provided you.