Eudora Email Updater--Field Instructions
Follow these instructions to ensure your email continues to work after January 6, 2004.
On January 6, 2004, the ISU Office of Academic Information Technologies (AIT) will begin requiring updated network applications. This change is in response to security concerns and will provide a higher level of security for the ISU Extension network. Affected applications for Extension, in particular, are Scout and Eudora. You will need to update these applications on your computer now.
Please print these instructions before beginning.
- Do NOT attempt to open your mail while logged on with the local administrator account.
- Do NOT use your Scout CD for this update.
To update your computer:
- Log on with the local administrator account (remember to change 'log onto' so that it contains the name of your computer (which will be identified on a drop down list by (this computer)).
- Open Scout (Start, Programs, Scout)
**If Scout DOES NOT allow you to login, proceed to the "Update Scout" instructions below**
- In Scout, select the Eudora Pro Updater button and follow the instructions.
- Exit Scout, reboot your computer, and log back in with your regular username. Be sure to change 'log onto' back to IASTATE.
Update Scout: (only if you're prompted to do so)
- When prompted to update Scout, click No.
- When prompted to update Scout's components, click No.
- Click Exit to close Scout.
- Connect to your shared drive:
- Right-click on My Computer
- Select Map Network Drive
- Select S: and enter "\\ext-county\shared" (no quotes, substitute the name of your county; for example "\\ext-story\shared")
- Uncheck Reconnect at Logon
- Click on "Connect using a different username"
- Type IASTATE\username (for example, IASTATE\jdoe) and then your password
- Click Finish
- From the S: drive, open the EIT folder and double-click on Scout32-6.0.exe, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Run Scout (Start, Programs, Scout)
- Click OK to install Kerberos, follow the on-screen instructions. When it tells you to make sure that no programs are running, right-click on the gold key at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen and select 'Exit.'
- Reboot when prompted.
- Continue with the above instructions (step 3 in the above instructions).
Note: If you use Host Explorer, you will also need to update this program. You can do so by logging in as administrator, running Scout and updating Host Explorer.
If at any point you need further assistance, please contact the Extension IT Support Hotline at 515-294-1725.
Posted by dcoates at January 05, 2004 02:27 PM