Help Wanted: Family Life Program Assistant
This position works with adults in northwest Iowa to create and support family life programs. Outcomes include four programming priorities:
- Coordination, writing and dissemination of Family Life priority program information.
1. The direct planning and possible delivery assistance of Strengthening Families 10-14 and PROSPER
2. The direct planning and delivery assistance of Powerful Tools for Caregivers.
3. The direct planning and delivery assistance of Better Kid Care programs.
4. The direct planning and delivery assistance of Family Storyteller.
- Involvement with local boards and community groups with interests in family life programs and issues.
The Family Life Program Assistant works as a team member with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach staff, council members and community partners to build interest in family life while educating and training an adult support system to take learning into the next programming year. This position will report to the Family Life Program Specialist serving northwest Iowa.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and market family life programming priorities and opportunities to youth and adults in the four counties, including but not limited to underserved populations by working closely with the family life program specialist in northwest Iowa and the regional marketing coordinator.
- Represent ISU Extension and Outreach on various committees and coalitions
- Recruit and work with adult volunteers and county extension staff to support programming priorities.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the family life program specialist in northwest Iowa including updating work and class schedule weekly.
- Work independently and with other staff including the county coordinators, regional 4-H and youth specialists and the county youth coordinators to secure necessary resources (volunteers, partners, materials and donations) to support family life programs in Sioux, O’Brien, Lyon and Osceola counties.
- Manage resources to ensure the effective delivery of educational programs.
- Offer comprehensive and complex educational programming to support long-term behavioral change in both youth and adults.
- Be recognized locally as an extension professional through public relations and networking.
- Report and evaluate the impact of programs through weekly program summaries to the family life program specialist in northwest Iowa.
- Provide comprehensive progress summaries to the extension councils of activities, programming and impact on a monthly basis.
- This position will be funded by the extension councils in the counties of Sioux, O’Brien, Lyon and Osceola counties and may be contracted with other regional counties for services as available.
- Work with the family life program specialist in northwest Iowa on additional programming needs as directed.
- An undergraduate degree with a major in family life, human development, child development, or related field to extension discipline.
- Facilitator training in Strengthening Families 10-14, Powerful Tools for Caregivers and Family Storyteller preferred.
- Evidence of good organizational skills.
- Evidence of excellent performance working with youth and adults in group and classroom settings.
- Experience teaching adult learners.
- Experience teaching youth.
- Good written, oral and customer relations communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of Products, Internet and e-mail applications.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Pass the background screening to meet the Child Protection and Safety Policy.
- The successful candidate will be expected to successfully manage their schedule with the high demands of a full academic class load and maintain a 2.5 GPA or above while employed by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
Additional preferred qualifications:
- Coursework in education with experience in formal and/or non-formal teaching.
- Experience as a user of any extension’s programs.
The family life program staff will work a flexible 40 hours/week starting July 1 with a per hour pay rate of $12/hour.
Counties Main Menu
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living