Featured Family Life Education Program: PACT
PACT (Parenting All Children Together) is a parent education and support program designed for parents/caregivers of children prenatal through age five, residing in Scott County. For current PACT registration information, click here.
Funded by Scott County Kids, Early Childhood Iowa, its goal is to:
- improve or maintain healthy family functioning, problem solving and communication;
- increase or maintain social supports;
- connect families to additional concrete supports;
- increase knowledge about child development and parenting; and
- improve nurturing and attachment between parent(s) and child(ren).
Started in April, 2011 this program offers 8 classes per series that focus on a variety of topics that support healthy parent-child relationships and family functioning. These topics include:
- setting family goals;
- early childhood brain development;
- preventing negative behaviors;
- positive discipline techniques;
- organizing family life for healthy lifestyles;
- social, emotional and cognitive development;
- reading to children; and
- child-centered play.
Each adult who registers for this free program receives:
- a meal at each class;
- child care during the class;
- assistance with transportation, if needed;
- an implementation material/tool that supports each topic;
- information and referrals to assist with family needs;
- 90-minute class with reference and support materials; and
- $40 of an incentive of their choice upon completion of at least six of the eight sessions.
Two types of evaluation are conducted to indicate the effectiveness of PACT.
- The Protective Factors Survey is given to participants prior to each series and following each series. For more information about this evaluation, click here.
- A follow-up assessment has been conducted to determine how past PACT participants have changed their understanding of parenting and parenting behaviors. For more information about this evaluation, click here.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living