Iowa State University Extension and Outreach puts the university’s research and resources to work throughout the state. We’re focused on feeding people, keeping them healthy, helping their communities to prosper and thrive, and turning the world over to the next generation in better shape than we found it. Because what Extension and Outreach helps people do for themselves, achieves the greatest results.
- We are ISU. Extension and Outreach has faculty, researchers, and partners in all the colleges across Iowa State University. Even Cy has an extension appointment.
- We bring campus to you. With nearly 1,000 faculty and staff on campus and across the state and 100 county extension offices, Extension and Outreach gives Iowa State University a 99 county campus.
- Each year nearly 1 million people directly benefit from our educational programs.
- Online visits increased 30% in the last year. Iowans connect virtually with us through more than 1.5 million website visits and downloads of educational materials and courses.
- Iowans add to our people power. We partner with 900 locally elected council members, and 17,000 Iowans volunteer with us.
- 1 in 5 kids wears the clover! More than 105,000 school-age youth participate in Iowa 4-H programs.
Kids really do like science, technology, engineering, and math. Iowa State University is the North Central HUB of the Iowa Regional STEM Network. We provide youth in every county with opportunities to build STEM skills.
- We advance manufacturing. Our Center for Industrial Research and Service worked with 1,600 companies last year. That’s more than a quarter of Iowa’s manufacturing firms. They report adding or saving more than 5,600 Iowa jobs, and generating $389 million of total economic impact.
- More than 60,000 Iowans are taking action, thanks to education and information from our community and economic development specialists. These local leaders, government officials, business owners, entrepreneurs, and volunteers are improving their communities.
- We’re adding color to dinner plates. We provided nutrition education to more than 1,800 low-income families and they learned to eat more fruits and vegetables — a top strategy to reduce chronic disease and health care costs and become the healthiest state.
- Farmers and agribusiness professionals come to us. Last year they participated in more than 300,000 learning opportunities in agriculture and natural resources, including live meetings, one-on-one consultations, and webinars.
- Human sciences education expands potential. Last year Iowans improved their knowledge and skills in health, nutrition, family finance, and family life, through more than 100,000 learning opportunities with us.
- We roll our the "cardinal" carpet for young people. Our Conference Planning and Management team partners with the Ames Convention and Visitors Bureau, creating a premier destination for youth events. Last year more than 17,000 youth from across the country participated in educational and recreational programs at Iowa State University.
- We’re here when you need to know. Call our 8 hotlines. Contact our 100 county offices. Visit us online 24/7 at www.extension.iastate.edu.
President Leath wants Iowa State to become the university that best serves its state. That’s the whole point of a land-grant university. Extension and Outreach is making a difference for Iowans.