Summer Webinar Series: Totally Trees
Orange City, Iowa- The Iowa Master Gardener program and Iowa State University (ISU) Extension and Outreach are once again offering a series of summer garden webinars for the general public.
Trees are one of the most valuable components of home landscapes. Because weather patterns over the past couple of years have taken a toll on landscape trees, and because the Emerald Ash Borer is advancing across the state, the theme for the 2014 summer webinars is “Totally Trees”.
Dates, presenters, and topics for the webinars are:
- Tuesday, July 15 – Mark Vitosh, Iowa DNR District Forester, will speak on “Iowa’s Unknown Treasure: The Forest Resource.” He will discuss trees in communities as well as the benefits and issues of growing trees in Iowa woodlands and urban areas.
- Thursday, Aug. 14 - Donald Lewis and Mark Shour, ISU Extension and Outreach Entomologists, will speak on “Tree Pests: Emerald Ash Borer and Beyond”, with a focus on recent pests of trees such as the Emerald Ash Borer and the impact of these pests on the Iowa landscape.
- Thursday, Sept. 18 – This will not be the live webinar. We will be airing a recorded program featuring Jeff Iles, ISU Department of Horticulture, chair and extension nursery and landscape specialist, will speak on “Replacing Ash Trees: Good Alternatives for Iowa”, providing ideas of other species of trees to consider planting in the home landscape.
The series, in its fifth year, is offered by the Iowa Master Gardener program in response to requests for more Iowa gardening educational opportunities. The sessions are open to all interested gardeners; participants are not required to have completed Master Gardener training to attend.
Sessions are held from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Orange City Public Library in the Reickhoff Room on the main floor of the library. Library location 112 Albany Ave. SE, Orange City, Iowa. The webinars are free and open to the public.
Please contact Margaret Murphy, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Horticulture Educator serving Lyon, O’Brien, Osceola and Sioux Counties, for more information on the summer garden webinar series. Phone (712) 472-2576(712) 472-2576 or email@example.com.
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach puts the university’s research and resources to work throughout the state. Extension and Outreach is about people and education is our mission. We’re focused on feeding people, keeping them healthy, helping their communities to prosper and thrive, and turning the world over to the next generation in better shape than we found it.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living