AMES, Iowa – Production and financial information to help feedlot producers tackle current issues will be presented by Iowa State University Extension staff during the Iowa Beef Center winter meeting series, Feedlot Forum 2010. Seven meetings will be held in six locations across the state between Dec. 8, 2009, and Feb. 11, 2010.
Presentations at each workshop will include Dan Loy, ISU Extension beef specialist, who will discuss feed management. Dr. Grant Dewell, ISU Extension veterinarian, will speak on keeping compromised cattle out of the marketplace and cattle health. John Lawrence, Iowa Beef Center director and ISU Extension livestock economist, available via voice-over PowerPoint, will talk about the market outlook for 2010; and Brian Waddingham from the Iowa Beef Industry Council will present the council’s feedlot animal welfare assessment tool. Remaining workshop agendas will vary by location, but will include area beef program specialist presentations on the management and performance of cattle in hoop and mono-slope barns.
The following are meeting locations and extension beef program specialist contact information for each site:
• Dec. 8 and Jan. 14 (both 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.) – Charles City, Russ Euken, (641) 923-2856, email@example.com
• Dec. 15 (7-10 p.m.) – Oskaloosa, Byron Leu, (641) 472-4166, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Jan. 22 (10 a.m. - 2 p.m.) – Cascade, Denise Schwab, (319)472-4739, email@example.com
• Feb. 1 (1-4 p.m.) – Lewis, Joe Sellers, (641) 774-2016, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Feb. 10 – Lidderdale, Clint McDonald, (712) 644-2105, email@example.com
• Feb. 11 – Creston, Joe Sellers, (641) 774-2016, firstname.lastname@example.org
With the exception of the Charles City meetings, each meeting is a stand-alone meeting in the series. At the Charles City location, attendees have the option of attending one or both, as they will be covering different topics on each date. For particular agenda information and specific meeting locations for each site, contact the program specialist listed for the desired location or go to www.iowabeefcenter.org.
To register for any of the meetings, contact the program specialist in charge of the location or download the registration form at www.iowabeefcenter.org. Registration for each meeting location, with the exception of the Charles City meetings, is $20 if pre-registered (up to three days before the meeting date). After that and at the door, the fee is $30. The Charles City meetings are $15 each or $25 for both if pre-registered and $20 at the door for each meeting.