AMES, Iowa -- Iowa pork producers are invited to learn more about improving their swine production operation at one of the 2006 Iowa Pork Regional Conferences scheduled for late February. Iowa Pork Industry Center (IPIC), Iowa Pork Producers Association, and Iowa State University (ISU) Extension are cosponsoring this annual series of eight meetings at different sites around the state.
The series is set for Feb. 20 - Feb. 24. Fee for those preregistered at least two business days in advance is $20 per person, which includes a meal, breaks, and handouts. Registration at the door is $30 per person and the meal is not guaranteed. All fees are payable at the door.
IPIC program specialist Colin Johnson said this year’s conference series will offer many tools and tips to implement into swine production operations for maximum productivity, as well as offer many tips on handling and transportation.
“Producers will hear from experts on how to keep their production costs low, while maximizing productivity. There also will be discussion about investigating diseases such as PMWS and Circovirus,” Johnson said. “The overall theme of this conference focuses on how you can maximize the throughput for your operation.”
Speakers and their topics include Mark Greenwood from AgStar Financial Services, “An Eye on Profitability: Components of Production Costs;” Chad Stahl of F.A.C.T.S., “Implications of Handling and Transportation;” Steve White from the Iowa Department of Agriculture & Land Stewardship, “Iowa Premise Identification Program;” and James McKean of ISU, “PMWS and Circovirus: What Do We Know?” Local ISU Extension field specialists will present, “Maximizing Productivity and Throughput: Reflections from Denmark.”
Program dates, times, locations and contact information are as follows.
* Monday, Feb. 20, 4 to 9 p.m., Marshalltown, Best Western Regency Inn. Contact Terry Steinhart, (641) 622-2680, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Tuesday, Feb. 21, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Ainsworth, Washington County Conservation Education Park at Marr Park. Contact Tom Miller, (319) 653-4811, email@example.com
* Tuesday, Feb. 21, 4 to 9 p.m., Davenport, Machine Shed Restaurant. Contact Larry McMullen, (319) 622-2680, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Wednesday, Feb. 22, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Oelwein, Luigi’s Restaurant. Contact Mark Storlie, (563) 425-3331, email@example.com
* Wednesday, Feb. 22, 4 to 9 p.m., Garner, Hancock County Extension Office. Contact Russ Euken, (641) 923-2856, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Thursday, Feb. 23, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Rock Rapids, Foster Community Center. Contact David Stender, (712) 225-6196, email@example.com
* Thursday, Feb. 23, 4 to 9 p.m., Cherokee, Western Iowa Tech Community College. Contact David Stender, (712) 225-6196, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Friday, Feb. 24, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Carroll, The Carrollton Inn. Contact Jerry Weiss, (712) 335-3103, email@example.com
For more information or to preregister for any site, people may call IPIC at (800) 808-7675.