Update for Veterinarians Program Planned near Chariton
CHARITON, Iowa — The 20th annual “Update for Veterinarians” program by Iowa State University’s Iowa Beef Center features a full day of education focused on beef cattle. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach beef program specialist Joe Sellers is organizing the program and invites practitioners who work with cattle to make plans now to attend the May 15 event at the Iowa State McNay Research Farm near Chariton.
“All of our speakers have Iowa State connections, including three new faculty and staff members who’ve come to Iowa State since the 2012 program,” Sellers said. “This is an opportunity for our veterinary colleagues to get acquainted with these folks and their areas of expertise. Also, the program has been approved for six hours of continuing education credits.”
Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. with the first of three morning speakers starting at 9 a.m. Four more presentation sessions, including a group discussion, will follow lunch. Those who preregister by May 13 will pay $50 per person, which includes the noon meal. Those who preregister after May 13 and those who register onsite will pay $70.
The speakers and their topics in presentation order are:
- ISU Extension and Outreach beef program specialist Chris Clark: Calving and managing cows in confinement
- ISU Extension and Outreach livestock economist Lee Schulz: Cattle price inventory and Iowa Beef Cow Inventory Trends
- ISU Extension and Outreach beef veterinarian Grant Dewell: VD-PAM update on hot topics
- ISU Extension and Outreach cow-calf specialist Patrick Gunn: Impacts of feeding coproducts to beef cows and synchronization update
- Iowa State University senior clinician Steve Ensley: Health impacts of drought on 2013 forages and feeds
- ISU Extension and Outreach beef program specialist Sellers: group discussion facilitation on local beef herd concerns.
The Iowa Beef Center at Iowa State University was established in 1996 with the goal of supporting the growth and vitality of the state’s beef cattle industry. It comprises faculty and staff from Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Veterinary Medicine, and works to develop and deliver the latest research-based information regarding the beef cattle industry. For more information about IBC, visit www.iowabeefcenter.org.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living