Master Equine Manager
e-Learning Equine Education Modules with written assessment - On-line, 24/7
Hands-On Training with practical evaluation - multiple dates, locations throughout the year
Knowledge, Certificate achievement, Title, MEM Network access, Continuing Education
To provide horse owners and enthusiasts with a comprehensive educational program that teaches the science of horse management. The Master Equine Manager program combines focused learning opportunities with hands-on experience.
The Master Equine Manager program accommodates your busy schedules. The program is a combination of video recordings, slide sets, activities, articles, resources, and a quiz. Participants will be able to access the material any time. The module will be complete when each quiz is finished.
Is Online Study For You?
- You can add to your equine knowledge anyplace and at any time using a computer.
- You can study a subject you have great interest in learning about
- You can study at your own pace, first learning the theory, then practicing or doing work experience and later completing the practical assessments
- Welfare of Horses: Understanding Horse Behavior, Facilities and Equipment, Equine Quality Assurance
- Horse Nutrition: Forages for Horses, Feeds and Feeding
- Horse Health: Equine Emergency Treatment, Vaccinations for Horses, Understanding Horse Parasites, and Hoof Care
- Selection of Horses: Conformation and Evaluation, Unsoundness’s and Blemishes
Each module will be in Moodle and will consist of
- Slide Sets
- Certification is open to junior and senior high school students, and any adult with an interest in horses
- To receive the Master Equine Manager Certificate the individual must complete each module, attend a practical evaluation or perform a documented self-assessment.
Quizzes – For each module a quiz will be associated with it. The quiz will be on-line. To be certified an 80% or better is required on the quiz.
- Quiz Date - You can take the quiz on any day you choose. The quiz can be repeated.
Practical Evaluation – Three options:
- Practical assessment dates will be available at various locations during the year.
- Schedule with an approved evaluator to perform the assessment or
- Perform a documented self-assessment which requires submitting a videotape, DVD or photo file of you performing the required actions
- Online material is available year-round. You can register anytime.
- For Iowa High School teachers who require Heartland AEA credit, the course would need to be taken within a semester's time - fall or spring. Contact Dr. Peggy M. Auwerda for more information.
Practical Evaluation Dates
Iowa State University, Ames, IA
|October 31 or November 14, 2014|
University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
|October 31, 2014|
|October 4, 2014|
University of Connecticut
|May 15 or 16 , 2015|
Program Registration Fee: $325/adult or $250/youth. Youth must be a junior or senior in high school.