NEW Marshalltown 4-H STEM Club seeks volunteer leaders!
4-H HyperStream Club – A part of the Governor’s Scale-Up STEM Initiative
Members of the Marshalltown 4-H STEM Club are seeking volunteers to serve as leaders for our new club, working in collaboration with HyperStream and its technology professionals.
HyperStream, a preferred STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) scale-up program through the Governor’s scale-up initiative, partners with business and education. HyperStream clubs foster real-world learning through hands-on projects and engaging presentations—all with professional technology mentoring.
Leaders should have the following qualities:
- Interest in working with 6th through 8th graders
- Ability to organize club meetings twice a month and coordinate with local industry ambassadors to teach lessons
- Interest in encouraging youth as they learn about a variety of technology opportunities
- Knowledge of science, technology, engineering and mathematics not required, but may be helpful
- Available to commit 8-12 months to the club (renewable annually)
- Successful completion of 4-H Volunteer Screening
- Willing to complete volunteer training
HyperStream provides programming and learning modules to club leaders. Members learn a variety of concepts and skills in technology. Members can choose to focus in any of these three areas of technology:
- Robotics: Members are challenged to understand the purpose and procedures of robotics. Using Lego Mindstorms NXT software and education kits, teams build robots and create coding commands for robots to follow.
- Game Design: Teams use the Alice programming system to experiment with programming logic and language. Members blend technology with creativity to create educational game worlds with virtual characters and plots.
- Multimedia: Members learn about a variety of mediums as they dapple into fields of photography, photo editing, video production, presentation software, web design and more. Multimedia teams create a collection of multimedia projects wrapped around marketing and product development.
Apply at the Marshall County Extension office, 2608 2nd Street, Lower Level
Direct questions to Caleb Carver, 641-752-1551, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Until filled.
Counties Main Menu
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living