STARS Learning Center
S.T.A.R.S is a before and after school program for academic recreation and social skills growth of 1st-5th grade students attending Johnson Elementary School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The program is a community partnership of 9 agencies and is funded by a 21st Century Community Learning Center grant. 54 students participated in the STARS program during the 2012-2013 school year.
S.T.A.R.S. 2012-2013 Recap
S.T.A.T.S. 2012-2013 Report
What is a 21st Century Community Learning Center? Download this infographic to learn more.
Progress Reveals: It is an Effective Education Program
Goals met during 2012-2013 School Year:
• Participants will have safe and supportive families, school, and community.
• Participants will demonstrate positive social skills and healthy lifestyle choices.
• Participants will be better prepared for a productive adulthood.
Teacher Surveys Report:
• 49% improvement in academic performance
• 43% improvement in behaviors in the classroom
• 48% improvement in getting along well with others
Staff Surveys Report:
• 70% of STARS students improved their social skills.
• 79% of STARS students improved their swimming skills
What do parents say about STARS?
• “STARS offers a high value academic curriculum that was not available at other locations we checked into.”
• “We highly value the homework help and academic reinforcement she receives at STARS along with social/life skills-which make this a well rounded program!”
• “My kids learn and play. It’s both valuable and makes them happy.”
If you are interested in seeing a program like this at your school contact Ann Torbert, 319-377-9839 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Transcending the punitive and remedial model of summer schools past,
summer learning’s new form is an artful blend of core academic learning, hands-on activities, skill-building, arts, sports, and meaningful relationships.”
-National Summer Learning, Why Summer Learning Deserves a Front-Row Seat in the Education Reform Arena
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living