Research shows that hands-on learning is one of the best ways for youth to retain kno
Research shows that hands-on learning is one of the best ways for youth to retain knowledge. Youths that participate in the use of our educational hands-on kits are given an introduction to science concepts through hands-on learning and are able to practice work skill areas like team building, problem solving and communication skills.
Kits can be used by: teachers, afterschool providers, summer day camp personnel, homeschool families and 4-H clubs among others. One family had this to say about using the kits:
“We homeschool and the science kits are a great way to teach lessons about science. The action of doing the rocket kit in particular was fun and educational. Without building and seeing the rockets in action, some of newton’s laws would have been hard for us to get the kids to understand.” -Steve & Jessie, Marion, IA
CHECK OUT POLICY
Fee Schedule - annual membership fee provides access to all kits from September 1 - August 31
--$30 fee per school building or group.
--$15 per individual family who are associated with the Home School Association
--$30 per individual family not associated with the Home School Association
• Please reserve kits at least 2 weeks in advance. Call (319) 377-9839 and ask for Ann or email email@example.com.
• Kits may be checked out for up to two weeks. Kits can be picked up and returned to the Linn County Extension office from 8am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday
• A $10 deposit will be collected at check-out. This deposity will be refunded if kit is returned on date due and in acceptable condition. A $100 deposit is collected for each GPS kit.
•If we feel there is any damage beyond normal use, we will bill the individual for the repair/replacement of the kit.
• Families/groups who do not pay when billed will not be permitted to check out any kits until the bill is paid.
Upon completing a kit, fill out a Linn County 4-H Statistical Report, available to you as an editable Microsoft Word document or Adobe PDF file, and return to Linn County Extension along with kit.
Kits Grades K-2
• Anansi The Spider
• Engineering is Elementary "Javier builds a bridge"
Kits Grades 3-8
These Wonderwise kits introduce you to women who have made science their career. Wonderwise kits provide a comprehensive instructional package that includes a video, activity book, and CD-ROM. With these kits, leaders and youth explore the world of scientists and discover together the fun of learning about science.
• African Plant Explorer
• Space Geologist
• Urban Ecologist
• Vet Detective
Super Science Kits
• Astronomy - Exploring the Universe
• Bridges and Structures
• DNA Extraction (banana) - Biotechnology
• GPS - Ready to Navigate
• Recharge - Nutrition and Physical Activity
• Rockets Away (K-12)
QUESTIONS? Call (319) 377-9839 and ask for Ann or email firstname.lastname@example.org.