There are Seven Steps to Becoming a Jefferson County Volunteer
1. Decide that you want to help kids grow and explore their futures.
Maybe you want to get more involved, but you just haven't been sure how. This is a great way and opportunity to be a part of helping educate our youth to help them grow into productive citizens!
2. Watch the Orientation videos to learn more about 4-H and opportunities available to you.
3. Contact the Jefferson County ISU Extension office to find out about local opportunities.
There may be an opening for a leader in an area of you interest, a current club may need an extra pair of hands or there may be an opportunity for you to start your own club!
4. Complete Iowa State University Extension’s Child Protection and Safety Policy (CPSP) process if you will have direct contact with youth.
Stop by the Jefferson County Extension Office to pick up your Volunteer Application Packet to get started on the CPSP process. This process may take 4-6 weeks from start to finish so it is crucial to start it as soon as you have decided you want to get involved!
5. Attend trainings.
Jefferson County has at least one (1) state required training each year to provide continuing education to our current volunteers. In addition to this training, all NEW volunteers must attend a State training before starting their adventure as a new volunteer.
In addition to these training, Jefferson County will keep all volunteers up to date on the 4-H Risk Management Training. As updates are handed down, an additional training may be hosted or an online training may be offered.
6. Consider volunteering to lead a 4-H group in your community, your local school, or even your church.
7. Share your skills, knowledge and talents while having FUN with kids!
Now that you have completed the seven (7) steps to becoming a volunteer, you may be saying "Now What?". The following are some help sheets that may provide a little extra guidance in the adventure of being a volunteer.
How to Start a Club
Planning Club Experiences
Tips on Conducting a Club Meeting
Club Meeting Outline
Tips on Pre-Meeting Activities
Counties Main Menu
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living
Jefferson County Events
- Career Ready 101 @ IHCC
- Hunger Iowa Workshop @ HyVee
- Self Guided Solar Crawl - Free
- FREE Solar Energy Fair
- Medical Monday @ Sunny Brook
Child Care That Works
- Nature Explore
All Events for Jefferson County