Advances in Precision Agriculture Is Topic of Iowa Learning Farms Webinar
AMES, Iowa — The Iowa Learning Farms’ monthly webinar, to be held Wednesday, Nov. 14, at 11:30 a.m., will feature Amy Kaleita, Iowa State University associate professor of agriculture and biosystems engineering. The webinar is part of a free series, hosted by ILF, through Adobe Connect. The series is usually held the third Wednesday of each month, but due to Thanksgiving, November’s webinar will take place on the second Wednesday. All that is needed to participate is a computer with Internet access.
Kaleita’s research is in the area of information technology for precision conservation. The natural environment is highly variable. Being able to determine what land management strategies will be the most suitable in a particular location requires characterization of the variable factors at an appropriate scale and synthesizing data with respect to their influence on hydrology.
Her research includes the design of sensing and monitoring systems and utilization of such data in modeling and decision support systems. Kaleita holds a bachelor’s degree in agricultural engineering from Penn State, a master’s degree in civil engineering from University of Illinois with an emphasis in hydrology, and a doctor of philosophy in agricultural engineering from University of Illinois.
Kaleita will offer a snapshot of the cutting edge and future needs of precision agriculture, including:
- Tiny, inexpensive smart sensors that monitor agriculture operations
- Communication systems: getting data from the sensors to its users
- “Internet of Things” for agriculture: cataloging and tracking data to make it usable
- Overt and invisible applications: apps and how farmers may possibly use them
- Nimble equipment: moving toward ag equipment that is multifunctional and site-specific
- Options for the developing world: how technologies can be accessible for agriculture in areas of the world that have smaller farms, budgets and profit margins
To connect to the webinar, go to: https://connect.extension.iastate.edu/ilf/. Kaleita will be able to answer questions from webinar attendees via the Adobe Connect chat box. The ILF website contains links for archived webinars from previous months: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/ilf/Webinars/.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living