Blackberry phones can be used at ISU, however, in order to connect with the Exchange server for email, ISU's Information Technology Services (ITS) will need to setup an account on the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES). There is a one-time setup charge for creating this account.
The following instructions assume that you have purchased a voice/data plan with your phone.
After You Order Your PhoneNote: When an account is created, you will have approximately 48 hours to setup the account on your Blackberry before the setup password is inactivated. If this happens, the password would need to be reset. Plan your request so that you'll be able to setup the account in that time frame (48 hours) if possible. You can request the account before you receive your phone.
- Apply for an account on the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES)
- Go to http://asw.iastate.edu
- Once you've logged in, select 'Request for Services'
- Select 'Blackberry Enterprise Server'
- 'Requested for' should be your Net-id or the Net-id of the person you're requesting a BES account for.
- Fund account should be the account to bill the setup fee to
- If you have special instructions, include them under 'Notes'
- Click 'Submit'
Once you receive your new Blackberry phone:
NOTE: During the syncing process, you will be asked to provide a password. This is NOT your Net-ID password. This is a new password that you're creating to unlock your Blackberry any time it has been inactive for more than an hour (you can still receive incoming calls). The password must be at least 4 characters. Pick something that you can remember and that's easy to type on the keyboard.
- Activate your phone for voice and data according to the instructions you receive from your phone provider.
- Check that you have data access by opening the Browser. You should be able to load web pages
- Once you receive an email indicating that your BES account has been created, you'll be ready to activate your Blackberry to sync to your Exchange account
- On your Blackberry, select Setup Wizard (Alternately, you can go to Options...Advanced Options...Enterprise Activation. Skip to step 9))
- Select Email Setup
- Select 'I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server
- Select Next
- Select Yes
- Enter your Exchange mailbox address in the form email@example.com
- Enter password: isu (Remember, if you are unable to set up your Blackberry within 48 hours of account setup, this password will need to be reset)
- Press the Menu button
- Select Activate
It may take a few minutes for the Blackberry to sync your email, contacts, etc. You can do other things on your phone in the meanwhile
See http://www.it.iastate.edu/services/mobile for additional information.
If you have problems or questions, contact us at 515-294-1725 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
(updated September 13, 2011)