Extension Information Technology provides critical IT services and support to Extension staff across Iowa. We also work with educational clients and partners in support of learning, discovery and engagement. Please spend some time exploring our site to discover the services we can offer.
Important Security Announcement, Please Read
Adobe is suggesting an immediate update to Flash for all Windows and Mac users. Without getting too detailed: a vulnerability was discovered that may allow hackers to remotely take control of users’ computers. You can read the details here: http://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb14-04.html
What you need to do.
• Open your internet browser
• Go to www.adobe.com/software/flash/about
• Check to make sure you have version 12,0,0,44 installed
• If you do not, click on the Player Download Center link that is in the second paragraph
• Uncheck the Optional Offer box
• Click Install
• Step through the installation.
• You will need to know your administrator password.
If you have any questions please call the EIT Hotline at 515-294-1725. This update needs to be done to all of your computers. If you have a laptop and a desktop, make sure you update both. If you use multiple internet browsers, you will need to update each of them. Please forward this message to coworkers that are not on the TechNews mailing list.
Installation instructions for Office 2013 are now online. You can find them on our Support page or click here. Each county office and department will receive a DVD of Office 2013 Professional (32-Bit). We would encourage you to upgrade your computers to the newest version of the Office. If you encounter any problems, please contact the hotline - (515) 294-1725
Question of the Week
Outlook prompting for password:
On April 21st users started experiencing excessive login/password requests from Outlook. Central IT, who manages the Exchange email servers, is aware of this problem. There is no ETA as to when this issue will be resolved.
Possible solutions to get you by for the time being:
1. Cancel the login request. Sometime this is all that is needed.
2. Enter "IASTATE\netid" in the username box (insert YOUR netid not the word "netid", example IASTATE\smith) and your password in the password box.
3. Enter your full email address in the username (example: email@example.com) box and your password in the password box.
What should I do when I'm preparing to leave Extension?
Review the "leaving your position" document for a comprehensive list of actions you should take. Additionally we have a frequently asked questions document for staff taking advantage of the retirement incentive option (RIO).
Adobe Connect has been updated to version 8. This is a major upgrade and has a number of significant changes to the user interface. A few noted changes include.
- Enhanced editing features for Notes
- Improved video quality
- New chat capabilities
You can now use your IASTATE credentials to login to Adobe Connect. You will still use your firstname.lastname@example.org email address for your username and then the same password you use for accessing email and other IASTATE services.
To highlight some of the changes to the user interface, we have created two short videos.
New computers will be setup with the Windows 7 Enterprise operating system. The latest configurations for laptop and desktop computers are here.
Past Question(s) of the Week