Reply to comment
Ames, Iowa— The Iowa Learning Farms’ (ILF) monthly webinar, to be held Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 11:30 a.m., will feature Iowa State University associate professor of agriculture and biosystems engineering Amy Kaleita. The webinar is part of a free series, hosted by ILF, through Adobe Connect. The series is usually held on the third Wednesday of each month, but due to Thanksgiving, November’s webinar will take place on the second Wednesday. All that is needed to participate is a computer with Internet access.
Amy Kaleita’s research is in the area of information technology for precision conservation. The natural environment is highly variable. Being able to determine what land management strategies will be the most suitable in a particular location requires that we be able to characterize the variable factors at an appropriate scale and synthesize data with respect to their influence on hydrology. Her research includes the design of sensing and monitoring systems and utilization of such data in modeling and decision support systems. Kaleita holds a BS degree in agricultural engineering from Penn State, an MS in civil engineering from the University of Illinois with an emphasis in hydrology, and PhD in agricultural engineering from the University of Illinois.
Kaleita will present “Advances in Precision Agriculture.” She will offer a snapshot of the cutting edge and future needs of precision agriculture including:
- Tiny, inexpensive, smart sensors that monitor agriculture operations
- Communication systems: getting data from the sensors to its users
- “Internet of Things” for agriculture: cataloging and tracking data to make it usable
- Overt and invisible applications: “Apps” and how farmers may possibly use them
- Nimble equipment: moving toward ag equipment that is multifunctional and site-specific
- Options for the developing world: how can technologies be accessible for agriculture in areas of the world that have smaller farms, budgets and profit margins.
To connect to the webinars, go to: https://connect.extension.iastate.edu/ilf/. Kaleita will be able to answer questions from webinar “attendees” via the Adobe Connect chat box. The ILF website contains links for archived webinars from previous months: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/ilf/Webinars/.
Iowa Learning Farms is a partnership between the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Iowa Natural Resources Conservation Service and Iowa Department of Natural Resources (USEPA section 319); in cooperation with Conservation Districts of Iowa, the Iowa Farm Bureau and the Iowa Water Center.