Powerful Tools for Caregivers
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a series of classes designed to empower family caregivers of adults with chronic conditions or children with special health and behavioral needs to take better care of themselves. The “tools” learned in the six week series benefit caregivers by helping them reduce stress, improve caregiving confidence, establish balance in their lives, communicate their needs, make tough decisions and locate helpful resources.
Classes are led by certified class leaders. Topics include:
- Taking Care of You
- Identifying and Reducing Personal Stress
- Communicating Feelings, Needs and Concerns
- Learning from Emotions
- Communicating in Challenging Situations
- Mastering Caregiving Decisions
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach is the lead organization bringing Powerful Tools for Caregivers to Iowa communities. There are 75 trained leaders in Iowa and an additional 25 in surrounding communities in Illinois, Minnesota, and Nebraska that work closely with Human Sciences Extension and Outreach at Iowa State University.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a national evidence-based education program with class leaders trained in 32 states. Evaluations indicate program participants improve self-care behaviors, management of emotions, self-efficacy, and use of community resources. Classes are scheduled in local communities throughout the year.
- Information about how to become a certified class leader
- Iowa class leader training dates and registration information
- Class leader selection considerations
Iowa certified class leaders will find:
- Planning, publicity, teaching and follow-up materials
- On-line reporting
- Leader updates
For further information on caregiver classes or class leader training contact Donna Donald.