Preserve the Taste of Summer
Preserve the Taste of Summer is a food preservation program that includes both online lessons and hands-on workshops providing the most current USDA-approved food preservation recommendations. It is a great opportunity for anyone age 18 years or older interested in learning safe food preservation techniques.
Two Participation Level Options
Home Food Preserver ($35)
Volunteer Food Preservation Assistant Program (optional)
- Those who complete all eight lessons and participate in at least one hands-on workshop are eligible
- Assist ISU Human Sciences Extension and Outreach Nutrition and Wellness Specialists in conducting Preserve the Taste of Summer workshops and group sessions.
All participants complete eight online lessons:
- Lesson 1 - Food safety
- Lesson 2 - Canning basics
- Lesson 3 - Canning acid foods
- Lesson 4 - Pressure canning low-acid foods
- Lesson 5 - Preparation and canning of pickled and fermented foods
- Lesson 6 - Making and preserving fruit spreads
- Lesson 7 - Freezing food, storage of frozen and refrigerated foods
- Lesson 8 - Drying foods
Participation in a hands-on workshop requires the completion of the eight online lessons. Hands-on workshops are:
- hot water bath canning (salsa making)/freezing
- jams and dehydrating
- pickle making
- pressure canning
Workshops are offered periodically throughout the state of Iowa. Contact the Nutrition & Wellness Specialist that serves your county for additional information.