Loving Your Family-IA
Loving Your Family-Iowa (LYF-IA) is designed to deliver nutrition education to low-income families with children under age 10 in Iowa counties where Extension and Outreach does not have a nutrition education program.
Using a “Train the Trainer” format, Extension and Outreach staff train and support staff from other agencies who already have an established relationship with young families (HOPES, PAT, etc.). LYF-Iowa is funded by Food Assistance Nutrition Education.
As a result of participating in Loving Your Family lessons, participants will:
- Eat fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products every day
- Be physically active every day as part of a healthy lifestyle
- Balance calorie intake with calories expended
What participants have said about the Loving Your Family - IA program ...
- “I realize more the importance of letting my kids help with meals and getting more involved with what they eat.”
- “I try to incorporate more whole grains into meals and snacks and way less sugar.”
- “I am more aware of planning and making meals with all the food groups.”
- “I think about making a colorful plate for my kids and myself. Also don’t put too much food on our plates so we don’t overeat.”
- “I check labels to pick healthier foods and serve more fruits with meals.”
- “I am more aware of making sure I have fruits and veggies at meals.”
- “Now I feel better about what I feed my child.”
- “I liked learning how to cook more foods.I’m glad she was there to help me learn to cook better.”
Download a copy of the Loving Your Family-Iowa Program Impacts for more information.
Delivered in three 45-minute sessions, lessons focus on:
- Family Meals
- How Much Food and Physical Activity
- Vegetables and Fruits
Seven 15-minute mini-sessions include:
- Reading Labels
- Calcium-Rich Foods
- Fast Food
- Food Safety
- Healthy Pregnancy (optional)
If you are interested in more information about Loving Your Family-IA contact Justine Hoover, LYF-IA Program Coordinator.