Homebuyer Education: A Place of Your Own
The American Dream is to own a home. Purchasing a home is probably the biggest purchase you'll ever make. It's an exciting experience and not a simple task.
This five lesson, online course will help you:
- decide if now is a good time to buy a home
- prepare for the home buying process
- shop for a mortgage that works for you
Lessons focus on preparing for home ownership, shopping for a home, securing a mortgage, closing the loan, and being a home owner. Upon completion of the lessons, you may earn a homebuyer's certificate to take to your local lender.
- Make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements
- View the course introduction to help you learn about how the course is run and what you can expect
- Enroll in the course to work towards A Place of Your Own
Earn a homebuyer’s certificate
When you complete all five lessons, you may take the final certification exam. When you have 70 percent or more correct on the final exam, you will receive a homebuyer’s certificate. Many home loan programs require completion of a homebuyer course to qualify for a loan.
- You may take the final exam as many times as you wish—until you pass—at no additional charge. However, you must wait at least one day before you retake the exam, giving you time to review the information you didn’t understand. No two exams will be the same because the list of questions is randomly selected for each exam.When you pass the exam, you will be able to print out a Homebuyer’s Certificate with your name on it.
Complete the course anytime, anywhere
The course cost including the certificate is $45. You may access the course any time of day from any computer with Internet access.
For question about ...
- Course registration: Extension Store, (515) 294-5247
- Technical difficulties with the course: Extension Information Technology, (515) 294-8658
- Course content: Suzanne Bartholomae, Family Finance Extension State Specialist, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
- If you need special accommodations to take the online course, contact your local Iowa State University Extension and Outreach office.
Are you a housing lender?
Lenders may pay for the online course for their customers. Here's how...
Add the Homebuyer Education eCourse to your cart at the Online Store and checkout. Specify these details during the checkout process:
- Course registration section - Enter the name of the customer(s) and the email address the customer will use to access the online course.
- Shipping section - List the customer(s) in the shipping section. The information from this entry will be the name(s) that appears on the certificate earned at the end of the course.
- Billing section - List the lending institution name in the billing section; do not click the "same as shipping".
The computer requirements to take this course are fairly easy to meet. You need:
- A computer made in the past four or five years, either Macintosh or PC
- Connection to the Internet
- E-mail address
- A printer to print out the certificate; you may also want to print some of the worksheets and publications
- Flash Player - If you don't have Flash Player, you may download it for free.
- Adobe Reader: To open pdf documents including worksheets and publications, you need Adobe Reader. If you don’t have Adobe Reader, you may download a free copy.
You might qualify to save money through Iowa Finance Authority’s Take Credit Mortgage Credit Certificate Program! See if you qualify and if your lender participates…