Environment Rating Scale Assessment
The Environment Rating Scale Assessment is part of Iowa’s Quality Rating System. Early Care and Education programs working towards achieving a 5 star rating will receive an Environment Rating Scale assessment.
- The Early Childhood Environment Rating Scales are nationally recognized tools used to assess and improve the quality of child care programs.
- All programs assessed will receive a feedback report for each observed classroom. The reports contain valuable information to use towards quality improvement in areas such as health and safety, program structure, teacher-child interactions, activities, language, space and furnishings, parent communication and staff development.
- Early Childhood Education programs applying for a level five in Iowa’s Quality Rating System will receive Environment Rating Scale assessments. Programs must achieve an average score of 5.0 on each observed classroom to attain a QRS 5 star rating.
- Funded by Iowa Department of Human Services
Ready for an ERS Assessment? Check out the helpful Ready, Set, Go video...
What is an ERS Assessment?
- A trained assessor, through Iowa State University, will complete an assessment on the requested program by using the appropriate Environment Rating Scale (FCCERS-R, ITERS-R, ECERS-R, or SACERS). The assessment consists of a 3- 3 1/2 hour observation followed by a 15- 20 minute oral interview clarifying a typical day and discussing items not observed.
- Center-base programs requesting an assessment must have at least 1/3 of all classes assessed and at least one from each rating scale (ITERS-R, ECERS-R, and/ or SACERS).
- Child Development Homes will be assessed on the FCCERS-R.
- In order to receive an assessment the child development home owner or center-based director, supervisor, or principal must complete the appropriate ERS training.
To learn more about the Environment Rating Scales, visit the ERS Institute. If you would like an assessment, please call the Environment Rating Scale Assessment Project office at (515) 294-7875. Please call at least one month in advance to reserve a date(s) for an assessor to visit your program. Keep in mind our busiest time of the year occurs from February - May.
Have questions about ERS information and terms? Check our FAQs?
From our blog ...
- Environment Rating Scale additional notes for clarification:
- Sample facility report
- Diapering Procedure Poster
- CPSC Handbook for Public Playground Safety
- Weather Watch Chart
- USDA Meal Guidelines
- Child Care & Education: Helpful Resources for Professionals
- Quality Child Care
- Raising Healthy Children