Girl Talk promotes positive self-esteem while helping fifth and sixth grade girls and their moms/caregivers develop and practice communication skills.
Goals of Girl Talk are:
- To increase the quality and quantity of communication about sexuality issues within the context of the family
- To provide necessary factual information about sexuality
- To explore sexuality attitudes, feelings, and values
- To promote positive self-esteem and acceptance of sexuality
- To encourage discussion about future girl-boy relationships as they relate to family values
- To learn about the importance of breast self-exams and how to do the exam correctly
- To learn about the importance of hygiene and female health issues
UPCOMING Facilitator Training
The training will be in Bloomfield, Iowa on Tuesday, February 7 from 4:30-9:00 pm. Designed for those that want to co-lead the Girl Talk series, two people are needed to facilitator Girl Talk with at least one member of the team with a medical background (nurse, paramedic, physician, etc.). Download the registration brochure for more information.
How to participate
If you are a parent, contact the family life program specialist who serves your county to learn about agencies that have received training to deliver this program in your community.
If you would like to become a facilitator of Girl Talk so you can conduct the program in your community, contact the family life program specialist who serves your county or check the facilitator training calendar to learn about upcoming trainings.