What is FIRST Lego League
Who can join 4-H First Lego League?
youth 9-14 years old are eligible and all applicants will be considered for the 10 member teams that will be selected in each community.
What will they do?: They will learn teamwork and then work on programming a Lego MINSTORM NXT Robot to complete specific tasks on an 8 foot by 4 foot challenge field. They will also identify a community project and plan a presentation that they will share with Community Leaders based on a creative approach to a solution on the years theme. These teams will participate as an Iowa First Lego League Team in the Western Iowa Regional Competition in December.
Teams will meet once or twice weekly to prepare their team project and presentation and learn to program their robot for completing the challenges that their robot must complete in the 2 1/2 minute rounds of competition .
As you approach the competition, it is critical that your team use the FIRST Lego League Core Values---- especially, “What we discover is more important than what we win” and “We are a Team.” The FIRST Lego League Core Values
FIRST Lego League Competition consists of 4 parts:
- Robotics Competition---the team will program their robot and build attachments for their robot to complete as many missions as possible on the Challenge Field in the 2 1/2 minute rounds. They will have three rounds scheduled throughout the day of competition.
- Project Presentation---the team will research a posbbile solution to applying the years theme (Smart Moves, 2009) to their community. They will then choose a creative solution to a problem or application of the theme that could be carried out in their community. They will prepare a 5 minute presentation on their creative project and share with at least two community leader groups before the competition. They will conduct their 5 minute presentation in the competition.
- Teamwork Interviw--the team will be required to complete a task as a team which wil be revealed to them at the beginning of the interview. The judges will observe how well the team works together and will interview them following the completion of the task as to how the members have worked together during the season as a team.
- Technical Interview--The team will bring their robot and attachments and run a few completed misions on the Challenge board for the judges. The judges will interview them on their design of the robot and ask questions about the programming of the robot. The important element is to share how they overcame difficulties and to share their creative solutions to accomplishing the missions in their building and programming of the robot.
The judges will also look for how well the team applied the First Lego League Core Values in their preparation for the competition so it is very important for them to be able to share them and talk about how they applied them to their team.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living