Forestry Assistance in Iowa
Iowa has several public and private agencies and groups which provide a wide range of forestry assistance. The following is a brief description of various agencies and their programs as they relate to forestry and woodland management in Iowa.
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Bureau of Forestry
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Wallace State Office Building
Des Moines, IA 50319
The Forestry Bureau offers several services through its state, regional and district offices. The District Foresters can provide up to five days of service to landowners per year .
Their services incorporate all aspects of woodland management including tree planting, species selection, fuelwood cutting, timber stand improvement, timber sales and tax treatment of these sales, harvesting and marketing, insect and disease problems, prairie identification, establishment and management, and woodland wildlife management.
The District Foresters will prepare management plans and give advice on available financial assistance programs. Cost-share assistance for specific forestry practices such as timber stand improvement and tree planting are available.
The Forestry Bureau operates the State Forest Nursery in Ames. The State Nursery provides trees and shrubs at minimal cost for reforestation, erosion control and wildlife plantings. Nursery stock can be ordered for either fall or spring planting.
The State Forests (Shimek, Yellow River, Loess Hills, and Stephens) are operated to demonstrate different methods of woodland management and the variety of benefits that come from forested land. In addition, the forests provide opportunities for a wide range of outdoor recreation activities.
DNR State Offices
Headquarters: Wallace State Office Building, Des Moines, IA 50319
Paul Tauke, Bureau Chief and State Forester, Forestry Services (Phone: 515/725-8450) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aaron Lumley, Forestry Services Supervisor (Phone: 515/725-8451) Aaron.Lumley@dnr.iowa.gov
- Jeff Goerndt, Section Leader, State Lands (Phone: 515/725-8452) Jeff.Goerndt@dnr.iowa.gov
- Emma Hanigan, Urban Forester (Phone: 515/725-8454) Emma.Hanigan@dnr.iowa.gov
Laura Wagner, Urban Forestry Tech (Phone: 515/725-8456 Laura.Wagner@dnr.iowa.gov
- Evan Miller, Urban Forestry Tech (Phone: 515/725-8455 Evan.Miller@dnr.iowa.gov
- Shane Donegan, Urban Forestry Tech (Phone: 515/725-8219 Shane.Donegan@dnr.iowa.gov
State Nursery: 2404 S. Duff, Ames, IA 50010 (Phone: 515/233-1161 or 800/865-2477)
- Aron Flickinger, State Forest Nursery email@example.com
- Gail Kantak, Wildlands Fire Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ryan Schlater, Cooperative Fire Specialist/Training Coordinator email@example.com
- Karl Harris, FEPP Equipment Screener/Fire Trainer firstname.lastname@example.org
Cooperative Extension Service
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011
There are several units within university extension related to natural resource management. The Extension Service offers a variety of services for Iowa's citizens including many publications and newsletters, public meetings and field days on a variety of topics, and individual response to letters and phone inquires, and plant health diagnostic services.
County Conservation Boards
The Iowa County Conservation Board Program, established in 1955, is recognized as one of the most successful county conservation programs in the United States. Iowa county boards are authorized to acquire, develop, and maintain areas devoted to conservation and public recreation. These boards also serve as a primary natural resource management agency in their respective counties, help educate local residents about environmental issues, and manage county wildlife conservation efforts. The local board office and phone number are listed in local telephone directories under county government offices or County Conservation Boards Directory.
Consolidated Farm Services Agency (CFSA)
10500 Buena Vista Court
Des Moines, Iowa 50322 (515/254-1540)
The Consolidated Farm Services Agency provides cost-share for forestry practices through the Agricultural Conservation Program (ACP), the Stewardship Incentives Program (SIP),and the Conservation Reserve program (CRP). ACP provides cost-sharing opportunities enabling farmers to carry out conservation, water quality, and environmental protection practices including forestry and windbreak practices that result in long term public benefits. SIP provides cost-sharing for a variety of woodland management practices. Eligibility requirements and applications can be obtained from county CFSA offices.
Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
210 Walnut Street
693 Federal Building
Des Moines, Iowa 50309-4260 (515/284-4260)
Natural Resources Conservation Service staff members provide technical assistance and information about soil and water conservation. They also prepare conservation plans for individuals. NRCS serves as the technical consultants and advisors for most cost-share practices available through the Consolidated Farm Services Agency (CFSA). NRCS administers the Forest Incentive Program (FIP), a cost-sharing program that encourages landowners to plant trees and to perform timber stand improvement work for timber production. The Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP), also administered by NRCS, may include tree planting in some cases. Every county in Iowa is served by a local office. For individual offices see NRCS Directory.
Resource Conservation & Development
Ten regional RC & D offices can provide assistance in forestry and forestry programs in about half of the counties in Iowa. They often have professional foresters and/or other natural resource professionals to help in the management and development of Iowa's natural resources.
- Cedar Valley RC&D 619 Beck Street Charles City, IA 50616 (Phone 641/251-1912)
- Chariton Valley RC & D, 19229 Highway 5 Centerville, IA 52544-9803 (Phone: 641/437-4376)
- Geode RC & D, 308 North Third Street Burlington, IA 52601(Phone: 319/752-6395)
- Golden Hills RC & D, Po Box 189 120 N. Main Street, Oakland, IA 51560 (Phone: 712/482-3029)
- Interstate RC & D, 3020 East 1st Ave, Airport Road Milan, IL 61264 (Phone 309/764-1486)
- Iowa Heartland RC & D, 1513 North Ankeny Blvd Suite 4 Ankeny, IA 50021 (Phone: 515/963-8654)
- Iowa Lakes RC & D, 14 West 21st St Suite 1 PO Box 265 Spencer, IA 51301 (Phone: 712/262-2083)
- Iowa Valley RC & D, 300 West Welch St. PO Box 87, Williamsburg, IA 52361 (Phone: 319/668-8110)
- Lime Stone Bluffs RC & D, 1000 East Platt, Maquoketa, IA 52060-2530 (Phone: 319/652-5104)
- M & M Divide RC & D, 1917 North US Highway 71 Suite 3 Carroll, IA 51401 (Phone: 712/792-4415)
- Northeast Iowa,RC&D 101 E. Green Street, Postville, IA 52162-0916 (Phone: 563/864-7112)
- Pathfinders RC & D, 1805 West Jefferson, Fairfield, IA 52556-4235 (Phone: 641/472-6177)
- Prairie Partners RC&D, 1301 6th Ave North Suite 2 Humboldt, IA 50548 (Phone 515/332-1720)
- Prairie Rivers of Iowa RC & D, 2402 South Duff Ave Ames, IA 50010 (Phone: 515/232--0048)
- Sioux Rivers RC & D,206 First St., PO Box 874, Sergeant Bluff, IA 51054-8074 (Phone: 712/943-7882)
- Southern Iowa RC & D, 500 East Taylor, Creston, IA 50801-4056 (Phone: 641/782-7058)