Submitted by taylork on Mon, 08/06/2012 - 13:51
Serving Size:2"-3" square
Cost Per Serving:$4.20 for whole recipe / $0.70 per person
- 1 or 2 zucchini, sliced (about 10 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup greated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Optional: If you have fresh mushrooms or peppers, you can substitute them for some of the zucchini
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a large casserole or 9×13-inch pan; set aside.
- Wash zucchini and discard ends. Cut into slices (about 10 cups). If using large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds before slicing.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion slices and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In bowl, stir together the eggs, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Add undrained tomatoes, and cheeses. Pour over zucchini mixture and stir to mix.
- Pour into casserole. Bake uncovered for 60 minutes. Top will be golden brown.
- Cut into squares. Serve.
Menu idea: Zucchini pie, sliced fruit, wheat bread
- Extra cheese tastes great but also adds more calories, fat, and sodium.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's